It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

carlyrachelle HB User
Unhappy High TSH, High T3, and High T4

Dear Readers,

I had my thyroid levels checked recently and they came back all high. I have never heard that they could all be high before, as it is completely contradictory. High TSH normally indicates hypo-thryoidism, where as when the other two are high it normally indicates hpyer-thyroidism.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with hypo-thyroidism, and I have been taking synthroid since to control it. Over the years it has been raised a few times based on regular blood tests, and symptoms. My thyroid function had gotten so low at one point I had to take a semester off of college to get my levels back to normal. That was two years ago.

This blood work has me boggled. My doctor decided to reduce my synthroid and is wondering whether I should have been put on synthroid to begin with. I've gone to several different doctors because of moving. I am worried about this doctors diagnosis, as I feel physically like my thyroid is low, but I also have a few hyper symptoms. I know that if he reduces my thyroid meds I'm going to start getting more spacey and tired.

Has anyone else had this problem? And do you know what to do for it?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: High TSH, High T3, and High T4

Two things that can cause elevated TSH w elevated T4/T3 are a TSH-secreting tumor or thyroid hormone resistance. Since you seem to have low thyroid symptoms, but high circulating T4/T3, I would suspect the latter, moreso than the pituitary tumor. In either case, reducing or withdrawing the Synthroid would be a kneejerk response that isn't likely to solve the problem. You need tests to find out the reason behind it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

foxylady385 HB User

Ok I have a benign tumor on my thyroid. Its been here for at least 6 years. Its not coming out because the surgeon says I won;t have a thyroid left. I had 75% of gland taken out 15 yrs. ago due to another benign tumor. The thing is, I was born with a totally inactive thyroid, Good thing we found a dr. when we did, or I would have either ended up with dwarfism features, or died. (born in 1946 and that wasn;t a big year for thyroid diagnoisis) So now, my dr. continues to lower my dosage of synthyroid. I have gone from .125 down to .50 in a matter of 6 yrs. or more. Also my body does not respond to diets, exercise, etc. the weight goes up and levels off for maybe a year or so, and then goes down for a period of maybe 4-5 yrs. This is sickening. No matter what I do, it goes up. (the upside is no matter what I don;t do, it stays low when its low) Any ideas.???

Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

I'm a contradiction too. I have resistance to thyroid hormone but am one that runs mostly hyper. RTH means you often get to share some of both worlds. It took a long, long time to be diagnosed. I've been taking beta blockers for the last 18yrs to control symptoms and about a year ago, I started taking Cytomel which is a synthetic T3 hormone to suppress my pituitary function which seems to be helping. I feel like we're finally making progress on it. It's not perfect yet but it's better than it ever was.

I was wondering if you have copies of your lab results that you could share. I really do have a lot of information on this and it's treatment if that is the direction that this points to.

Helen

Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

annie HB User

I'm having the same off-the-wall labs. I have posted today as 'annie'.

Closed Thread