It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

HeadOn HB User
When to blood test after Z-Pak, Steriods?

Hi. I've been on these boards before, but I'm new to this particular subject. I seem to have all the symptoms of a thyroid issue, and my ob/gyn sent me home with the paperwork to have bloodtests done when I had my last annual in October. We have no insurance, so she told me to have them done when I could.

For awhile, I've been catching every bug that my two kids bring home from school, and it takes me forever to get over it. I've been sick with one thing or another since Christmas. Lately, the kids got a head-conjestion/cough plus each of them threw up for three days. Luckly, I just got the congestion/cough. The pediatrician didn't give them antibiotics, just said it was a flu type thing, and they'd get over it in a week or so. I had the same thing, but as they got better, I stayed the same. The cough was pretty bad. Finally I went to the doctor myself, and he dxed Atypical Pneumonia.

Doctor gave me a Z-Pak, which I finished April 11th. I still had some trouble taking a deep breath and some inflammation, so he put me on a short course of steroids (methylprednisolone) for the next week. I started with the 6 pills on Monday, and tokk the decreasing dose down to the single pill on the last day, which was last Sunday, April 19th.

Now I'm ready to do the bloodwork my other is sending me for, which includes a CBC, Comp. Metabolic Panel, TSH (Ultrasens.), Free T4 and Free T3. I don't want the Z-Pak or the steriods to effect the bloodwork, but nobody seems to know when the best time to test is after taking those things. My ob-gyn said I should wait a bit (how much is that?). Another person I talked to said her Dr. told her to wait 10 days after antibiotics. The lab said anytime is okay, then came back again and said they really didn't know, ask my doctor. So, I have another call in, but I'm still waiting to hear what she says. I've searched the 'net, and can't find any sort of definite answer.

Does anybody here know just how long you should wait after taking a Z-Pak and a short course of Methylprednisolone to have bloodwork done?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: When to blood test after Z-Pak, Steriods?

The z-pack would have more of an affect on your other lab work and the 10 days is a reasonable amount of time to wait.

It's the steroids that might have an affect on your thyroid labs. I had to check it out one time and you're talking 6 weeks. They will also affect labs for adrenal function if you ever need to wonder about that. On that, you're talking 6mos to a year before you can be sure to be getting an accurate reading of your true adrenal function.

Closed Thread