It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

cathy57 HB User
Unhappy Too high a dosage of Armour.. symptoms?

Can anyone tell me what the typical symptoms are of too high an Armour dosage... I'm starting to take 60 mg a.m. & 60 p.m. and I'm wondering if that's too much... can someone tell me what they notice when they're too high?cath

Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Too high a dosage of Armour.. symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy57 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the typical symptoms are of too high an Armour dosage... I'm starting to take 60 mg a.m. & 60 p.m. and I'm wondering if that's too much... can someone tell me what they notice when they're too high?cath
I wouldn't take it without getting my numbers checked. Sometimes my dose needs to be adjusted. It is easy to get a thyroid panel and then have someone knowledgeable prescribe the proper dose. For instance, my dose was recently reduced from 60 mg. once a day to 45 mg., based on my panel numbers, and I feel much better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

When ever you titrate your supplementation up a notch you need to keep an eye out for lingering symptoms. Your first 2 weeks after starting a new dose your body is in a honeymoon phase. You may feel hyperT. However after 2 weeks your blood levels will be at equilibrium and true residual symptoms will arise. This means if you have persistant hyperT symptoms at week 4 on a new medication dosage you need to go and get your blood work redrawn.

Remember on Armour the TSH is useless. You must focus on your symptoms and FT levels.
HyperT symptoms:
Heart: Palpitations and/or fast heart rate, and high blood pressure

Thermal Control (body temperature): Heat intolerance, warm moist skin (body sweating with out exertion), Hot flashes/flushing, rash

Neurological effects: Nervousness, anxiety, insomnia, and staring gaze

General Physical effects: Breathlessness, diarrhea, weight loss, constant hunger, light or absent menstrual periods, fatigue (muscle and mental), trembling hands, and hair loss

Now some of these are hypoT symptoms as well. The dangerous hyperT symptoms are the heart effects and excessive weight loss.

MG

Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
(female)

cathy57 HB User

Thanks MG,
The docs up in Canada are hopeless... My endo only tests after 3 months and my holistic doc doesn't mention that I need to get my bloods done before I take my meds,between the both of them, it's so hard to know what my ideal dosage is... it can make a huge difference in levels... but I've learned from reading boards that in order to get baseline levels you need to get your bloods done before you take your meds...Most of the time I feel no difference between dosages, so it's really hard... My classically trained endo only pays attention to TSH, so I'll have to dump her soon...
I've been trying to figure out my ideal dosage of dessicated thyroid now, for years....thanx, cathy

Old 05-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, cathy,

Do you have blood works in hospitals? 3 months is too long time to wait I think. Do you have to drive to have blood tests?

Closed Thread