It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

janld HB User
So scared and worried---

I have been reading the posts for about two weeks and found anxiety and lots of comfort. My history: I had a partial removal of the thyroid due to a large mass up the right side of my neck 17 years ago. It just appeared--don't know how long it had been there---surely not long cause was so noticeable. My surgeon said he did not know what it was--he said it had tentacles (sp) that traveled up my neck. Thankfully it was benign. Two weeks ago, I found a nodule I guess in the hollow of my neck. I can move it around sorta and almost wrap my fingers around it, and it feels squishy. I am not able to see a doctor until next week and have been going out of my mind with bad thoughts and worry.I find myself always touching it and wondering if it is something bad. I am going to a surgeon because my ENT has gotten more interested in cosmetic surgery and I have trouble relating to my Internal Medicine doc and will be changing to a new one. I lost my husband several years ago so am alone with only my bad thoughts. I don't want to share this with my children until I know what I'm dealing with. How in the world can I turn my thinking around at least until I see a doctor. My visit to the doctor has been delayed because I had a trip planned with my children and decided to wait until we returned.
I have especially found comfort in Reece's post. Goodness gracious how helpful she is to people with thyroid problems. She is so knowledgable about this disease. I salute her. I appreciate any help you can offer. What a blessing this website is. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: So scared and worried---

Well hello janld so glad you've joined us. I have been absent from the boards for some time but needed some encouraging words myself this weekend so here I am

I don't have any answers for you, but am sending you big {{{hugs}}} and encouraging you to try not to worry. I know it's tough............really tough...............but you mentioned you postponed your doc appt to go on a trip with your kids. As best you can, try to enjoy that time and know that the days will pass and you will see your doc soon.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing. It's the beauty of this board. There are awesome people on here who really understand and offer such great support. We're all pulling for you

Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

janld HB User

Thanks so much for such a quick reply. The people on this board are awesome and I appreciate every post I have read. For a time, I didn't read the cancer ones, but have gotten more comfortable and plunged ahead into some of them. I feel like I have found a bunch of wonderful, caring friends. Thanks again and write again.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Janld,

You are a sweetie! I'm just here because I had thyroid cancer 4 years ago, and was very scared, and I want people to know that even in that case (which is pretty much the worst case for people feeling a nodule on the thyroid), you will still be here 4 years later, and be healthy and feel good and enjoy your family and life.

If they didn't give you enough thyroid hormone since the thyroid removal all those years ago, to prevent regrowth (a suppressed tsh level---which they would have only done if it were cancer), thyroid tissue tends to grow back (kind of like if you cut off the star fish leg, I think it grows back)---and it can grow in weird shapes sizes and places, and there's also scar tissue from your past surgery, and stuff like that, you need to have an ultrasound, and maybe a neck cat scan and see what's really there, it's hopefully nothing to worry about---just like last time.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

janld HB User

Reece---you are the sweetie--I can't tell you how much your posts have meant to me---I've read them all---gone back as far as I could to see when you started and how you handled it. I don't have the backbone you have---I'm a worrier to the highest degree. I've wanted so bad to tell my children I have a problem, but just don't want to talk about it to anyone---that is, except you!!! Thanks again for your input, your positive post to me this morning will hopefully see me through this day. Thanks so much.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

janld HB User

Reece--Been thinking about your situation since my first post. I have couple of questions and if off limits, I understand. I've wondered how you were first diagnosed. Did you just see a lump or was it some other way? Also, how is your mother? You have mentioned before that she is undergoing chemo---just wondering if it is for thyroid. I have an appt with a surgeon next Monday. I know I'm going about this backwards, but in my original post, I stated I'm having problems with relating to internal med doc and ENT is more interested in cosmetic stuff, so thought surgeon could help me with that. I have faith in this surgeon since he has operated on me before. I want to say, you are the most knowledgeable person re this disease---you have really done your research---blessings to you!!! Hope I'm not taking advantage of your willingness to help others.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Actually, my mom was diagnosed 4.5 years ago with advanced (furthest stage) breast cancer (never had thyroid issues)---(there is no chemo for thyroid cancer, it's basically treated with surgery and rai), and I started crying alot, which made my neck sore, and then I noticed this lump, which had probably been there for quite a while. It turned out to be a 2.5cm nodule (pappillary diagnosed upon fna, which usually doesn't give such a definitive diagnosis). The difficulties my mother has had with chemo and so much suffering, really made me realize that my treatment for thyroid cancer was a breeze, so it gave me a better attitude about all this stuff.

The good news, is that not only am I still around (and intend to be for a while), but my mom, though not feeling wonderful, is still around too.

Let us know what happens with the surgeon!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

janld HB User

Thanks Reece--you are precious. jd

Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

LindaSueBob HB User

HI, I had a total thyroidectomy March 26, 2009-this year. I went to the surgeon just this morning as I have the same thing as you almost. A swelling with sort of a soft squishy thing to the left of my throat just down an inch from the incision. He said it is probably scar tissue growing. Never had this before with any of my other surgeries. He did a quick ultrasound in his office and it showed no fluid, if it was he was just going to take it out with a needle. I have to keep an eye on it, it was growing bigger. My next appointment is May 27.09 for my gall bladder surgery pre appointment. He will see then if it is bigger, and if so schedule a real ultrasound and maybe surgery to remove the growing scar tissue. Maybe this is what you have, just a thought. My thyroid problem was found in error, during an xray for pnemonia and it was then removed as quite large. Then the hiatal hernia was found in error as well during another exam for pnemonia. I had a hida scan which showed gall bladder working at 17%. Tomorrow I have an esophagogastroduodenoscopy along with the pinning of the bravo capsule to see if he does the gall bladder surgery at the same time as the fundoplication of the hiatal hernia or not. These surgeries sure are not fun, especially when something else comes from them, like the problems we are having. Good luck in finding out what you have. Linda

Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
(female)

janld HB User

Linda---thanks for responding. Does scar tissue grow? I guess it does, but I never thought about that. My first thyroid surgery was 17 years ago, so I don't know if could be scar tissue from that. My lump is in the hollow of my neck and just looking straight on, can't see. If I take a drink, it pokes out. Mine is right in the middle at the bottom of my neck. I have an appt with a surgeon on Monday and I can't help but worry, but that is my nature. Went for a walk with my dog couple hours ago and constantly feeling my neck. What is with that??? Can't seem to stop it---then came home and read how much you have going on. Sometimes I think I don't know when I'm well off. I do hope you get your operations behind you soon. Please keep in touch and let me know how everything goes---will certainly keep you in my thoughts. This board has been a God send for me---I can get on and read what some are going through and makes me feel like an ant!! Janet

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
(female)

janld HB User

Linda---just looking around at posts and wondering how you are today. Believe you had drs appt yesterday---your post was very helpful to me. I never thought about scar tissue--'tho Reece (love her) mentioned it once. My appt with surgeon is Monday and maybe will get some insight then. Hope your day is sunny! Janet

Closed Thread