It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

deirdre8256 HB User
Aren't you supposed to start replacement meds after total thyroidectomy?

I am scheduled to have a Total thryoidectomy soon. my dr said after the surgery it would be necessary for me to begin the thyroid replacement meds. I have received my surgery info and my prescriptions for after the surgery, however I did not get a prescription for the replacement meds.

When do you usually receive it? I will see the dr 10 days after the surgery.

I am having the surgery due to a solid mass that showed up on an ultrasound of thyroid.

I have been reading a lot about effects after surgery and all the info I have read says you start the meds right after surgery.

When should I expect to receive the meds?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by deirdre8256; 05-04-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Aren't you supposed to start replacement meds after total thyroidectomy?

I didn't start meds after surgery because I had cancer and 4 years ago thyrogen wasn't used for rai, so I wasn't given meds. You actually won't need them for a week or two, as you still will have natural hormone in your body.

It would be your endo. I guess, maybe not the surgeon that would prescribe it, some surgeons don't want to have anything to do with that.

Good luck with your surgery, hope it goes well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

If you don't have a plan as to when your RAI is going to be, you should get a prescription. Otherwise, you may have weeks more of hypo hell than neccesary. I was only given 75 mcg. at the hospital. However, since I didn't have my RAI until more than 2 months later, my endo increased it.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
(female)

Emily SP 88 HB User

I had papillary cancer of the thyroid, I had a TT on 2/1/08 and had RAI on 3/3/08. I didn't have any replacement hormones that whole time. I wasn't told to go on a no iodine diet, but because I figured it would help the RAI absorbtion I did it anyways. I think had I eaten normally I would have gained a lot more weight. My endocrinologist didn't tell me much about what to expect for that whole month without a thyroid and with no meds... believe me, it's terrible. You don't wanna go through that if you don't have to. Make sure to ask your endo what's up.
good luck!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

tmgl9 HB Usertmgl9 HB User

Hope you are doing well by now??

I had a total done in 2000 and started on meds pretty soon after.

One thing I didn't know was that one needs to have levels (thyroid panels) done at least every 3 months. One year, out of the blue, I had palpitations, anxiety, dizziness.

I had become hyper ....and doc had to drop my meds by 3 doses and gradually increase. I have an excellent endocrinologist. He said sometimes with NO thyroid, it can be more difficult to maintain good TSH levels. Now I alternate taking .112 and .125 Synthroid. .112 too low and .125 to high, alternating days, just right. My TSH is in 2+ range.

terri

Closed Thread