It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
detecting thyroid disease please help

if you have thyroid disease, does your blood work for this always come back showing your thyroids are messed up, high or low TSH, T3, T4? Or do you also get normal results throughout the disease.

does anyone know if there is a specific pattern (homogenous/speckled/etc) in ANA testing for hypothyroidism that is hereditary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

TV in RV HB User
Re: detecting thyroid disease please help

The "normal levels" were changed in 2002. Depending upon your age, TSH should be below 3.0 or 2.5.

Yes tests are not always accurate. Your TSH changes with your carcadium rythem and risees throughout the day. So it is best to have your blood drawn as soon as you roll out of the bed, before eating. Also avoid foods high in iodine the night before

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV in RV View Post
The "normal levels" were changed in 2002. Depending upon your age, TSH should be below 3.0 or 2.5.

Yes tests are not always accurate. Your TSH changes with your carcadium rythem and risees throughout the day. So it is best to have your blood drawn as soon as you roll out of the bed, before eating. Also avoid foods high in iodine the night before
What would the age vs. TSH level be for someone who will be 50 this year? I still have a high amount of antibodies (287 this month, 447 in October and I'm taking 200% Selenium in a high grade multi daily), had a TSH of 1.84 in December rising to 2.87 this month - both 3rd gen. tests. The rest of the tests I had done (total T3&4, T3 uptake, T4 index) are basically worthless so I've no clue what my frees are.

I'm just looking for more validation to get some treatment started. If this doctor won't, I'm onto finding another shortly.

Thanks for the time!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
(female)

TV in RV HB User

The younger you are the lower your TSH should be, so I imagine that your TSH is normal but free T3 and free T4 is what counts. TSH is just an indicator that something is wrong, it can be low with hypo and high with hyper vice versa.

I would imagine that if your antibodies are high then you will soon be a diagnosible hypo, if you aren't already.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
The younger you are the lower your TSH should be, so I imagine that your TSH is normal but free T3 and free T4 is what counts. TSH is just an indicator that something is wrong, it can be low with hypo and high with hyper vice versa.

I would imagine that if your antibodies are high then you will soon be a diagnosible hypo, if you aren't already.
Hypo is what is hereditary to me, and my antibodies have never been checked.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:

I may start doing TSH testing every so often to see if anything shows up wrong, so paying for this out of my own pocket, I wondered how that works.

Is there a blood test to check your iodine levels? I had a mineral analysis done years and years ago that showed my iodine was mildly too high (hair analysis testing), doctors ignore these tests, but I take iodine drops and am not as tired lately.

I read online high iodine levels can be linked with the hypothryroidism (auto-immune type) which runs in my family. But my TSH, T3, T4 have always been normal (checked maybe 3 times since I got sick 12 yrs ago).

Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Doctors frequently don't run the right tests, don't run enough of them, or don't know how to interpret correctly the ones they do run.

With autoimmmune hypothyroidism, the most common kind, TSH often doesn't run high until very late in the disease... long after the thyroid gland has become dysfunctional and not producing enough hormone. The TSH can be perfectly normal even when the FT4 and FT3 are waaayyy too low. If your T4/T3 are at the very bottom of their ranges, they aren't "normal", even though they may still be in normal range. Hardly anyone is ever diagnosed hypothyroid with T hormones below range. Almost everyone begins treatment when their levels are still low-normal.

Be sure you're getting the free levels of T4/T3 checked. They are the far more accurate than total T4/T3.

The antibody tests for autoimmune hypoT are TPOAb and TgAb. ANA antibodies are non-specific and therefore of limited value for this disorder, but they usually will be positive in the presence of one of the thyroid-specific Abs. Get those two tests; don't rely on ANA alone.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I stay on the cold side except in the dead of summer 90-100 degree weather. In 70-80 degree weather, I keep a blanket on me. Mornings, are the worst. Below 70 degrees, I sometimes shake & hyperventilate. If I have surgeries (put to sleep), I wake up from recovery with my teeth chattering really bad or body temp drops too low and I get these uncontrollable shakes. I've only noticed my feet/hands cold in the morning. My daughter's feet turn blue from this problem. I don't have anything that bad!

Heart rate actually pounds hard & I've hardly ever noticed it slowing down. Never have had high blood pressure. Constipation, is definetly not an issue. Past issue though. Where I have reflux disease, it causes me to go through phases of diarrhea alot. Nail problems, no. Hair loss. No. Skin problems: past acne (Proactiv took care of that) and I've had pslorisis before (or however you spell that). Alot of that doesn't necessarily occur with thyroid disease. The one's in my family with hypothyroidism just have fatigue, muscle pain, & weight gain issues. But they can still function, I barely can.

Well what I suffer from, severe fatigue, trouble losing weight, weight gain with no good cause (last time it happened, 10 lbs in 3 days), muscle pain, burning pain, muscle twitching (am taking magnesium but it is not stopping this), tingling & ichy skin, numbness. High cholesterol. Past depression. Anxiety.

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and CFS. I've had positive tests for auto-immune disease but it wasn't specific for a connective tissue disease.

I found this website online that had this hypothyroid questionaire and I scored over 90 which was in the highest range you could get, said I likely had severe thyroid disease, but you can't really diagnose something that a way. Symptoms of it are there. More than I'm listing here.

I read online today too that hypothyroidism can cause neuropathic pain, tingling, and muscle twitches like I am having. But well so can fibromyalgia.

This is the only thing I can link with my family that is hereditary to me & other people in my family also suffer from with symptoms like mine & it justs makes me sick not knowing why I feel the way I do. I know my thyroids may be okay though but since I can have these tests done without my drs permission, I am going to make good and well sure of that.

Last edited by neveragain444; 05-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I feel a hard lump in my neck ~ feels like my lymph nodes do at the top, except this is down in the lower part of my neck somewhat toward the left side. Is that normal or could that be a thyroid lump? It's very obvious if you even barely touch my neck, you can't visibly see it though.

I am going later today to have blood work for the TPO Antibodies. If I'm hereditarily cursed to this like my grandfather's endocrinologist said, I know something will show up.

Well I hope something shows up. I'm sick of being so tired and not knowing why....

Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The antibody tests for autoimmune hypoT are TPOAb and TgAb. Get both. You can have one without the other.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I also have a lot of the same symptoms as you - muscle twitching, muscle pain, joint pain, fatigue. My TSH continues its rise slowly and Free T4 is dropping, but unfortunately apparently not enough to treat yet. Hope you find out and get care for your symptoms. It is an uphill battle. I am very tired today and can hear my heart beating so I know I am alive. Otherwise cold and not quite sure there is much life in me.
Mattieann

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie75 View Post
I also have a lot of the same symptoms as you - muscle twitching, muscle pain, joint pain, fatigue. My TSH continues its rise slowly and Free T4 is dropping, but unfortunately apparently not enough to treat yet. Hope you find out and get care for your symptoms. It is an uphill battle. I am very tired today and can hear my heart beating so I know I am alive. Otherwise cold and not quite sure there is much life in me.
Mattieann
They can't even try you on a low dose thyroid pill for a couple of weeks to see if it makes you feel better? Have they tested your thyroid antibodies? The one's recommended (here) to me were TPO & TgAb.

I was reading these horrible stories online last night about how these people tested normal on their TSH, T3, T4, but their antibodies were abnormal, and many years later, even still with normal TSH, T3, T4, they find out they have thyroid cancer. With this one guy, it wasn't until like 10 years later he found out, and his doctor kept telling him his thyroids were normal. You can't call thyroid cancer freekin normal. Oh my gosh.

I also read these research studies that were done and they had a group of people who didn't take medication and a group that did, this was for people with high thyroid antibodies, but with normal TSH, T3, T4. The group that takes the medications, their antibody levels improve. The group that doesn't, their's either stay the same or get higher. Just goes to show, if there's a problem, then they need to put you on the medication. I think doctors need to quit just relying on TSH, T3, T4 alone.

I have had several ANA tests that show my body is attacking itself without though knowing why. If this TPO test comes back abnormal, and considering the hereditary risk, I will know it means my body is attacking my thyroid. Doesn't mean I'd get treated for it either. I don't know what the numbers were, but my TSH, T3, T4 was in normal range. And considering that, my doctor may not want to treat me either. But with my fatigue being so extreme, I'm not going to give him much of a choice. lol.

I am very sorry you feel that way.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Thanks for the concern. I have "come and go" symptoms and yes I have had my antibodies checked and they are high (TPO'S). I have Hashimoto's with positive TSI antibodies also, and cysts and nodules on my thyroid. A month ago my TSH was around 2, checked on Friday (late in the afternoon) and it was 1.0. I swing like a playground. I called my doctor today for debilitating fatigue, hair loss, and muscle pain and have not had a return call. Trying to change endo's but can't get an appointment until December, yes thats right, December. So sticking with old IM / alternative medicine right now hoping for a small dose of something when I go to the doctor on Monday. My Free T4 a month ago was .81. They would not tell me what it was today. I am hard to treat because of swinging from hyper to hypo. I just keep the old beta blockers handy for when needed.
Mattieann

Old 05-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

midwest,
You mentioned ANA is mostly high in the presense of the antibodies.
My research online shows that the ANA is generally negative in case of hashi's and more indicative of other autimimune disorders..
is this true or false.. ?
Thanks

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Read what Meep had to say about ANAs in this archived thread. He's one of many I've learned much from in my time here. IMO, he's one of the best.
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-105128.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep
It is my understanding that the ANA test isn't able to definitively diagnose anything. Here's a short blurb from the www.lupus.org (http://www.lupus.org) website: What does a positive ANA mean? Unlike a pregnancy test, which if positive generally means only one thing, a positive ANA can mean many things. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease. Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA yet fewer than 1 in 1,000 have lupus. Thus, at least 95% of the people who have a positive ANA do not have lupus! A positive ANA test can sometimes run in families, even if family members have no evidence of lupus. The ANA is only a test and, like a high cholesterol value, a positive ANA doesn't necessarily equate having a disease. A positive ANA is only an indicator which points in several possible directions, and indicates that further investigation and analysis may be needed.

Closed Thread