It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

jmhky HB User
Hypo Question

I was recently diagnosed with Hypothiroidism. They caught it in a physical for a new job. In looking back I had been experiencing symptoms, but not bad enough to see a Doctor for those symptoms. The only thing abnormal about my test results was a very high TSH of 26. I started taking Synthroid this morning. My question is this: Is it possible that at some point my Thyroid could start working correctly again and then this medicine will cause me to be Hyper? Also is there anything that could have caused my thyroid to slow down? The wierd thing is that Jan 1st I started a weight loss challenge at work and I dropped over 25 pounds in two months. I did it not by starving myself, but eating right. Now I find out that I have an under active thyroid. I thought you were supposed to gain weight with that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Hypo Question

Everyone is different. You need more than a TSH to determine what is going on. You need to know what your actual thyroid hormone levels are FT4 and Ft3. In addition you need to check to see if the is autoimmune in nature. This will require a thyroid antibody blood draw. The lab codes are TPOAb and TGAb.

Weight gain is a possible hypothyroid side effect, but not all get it. You may be one of the lucky ones. Hypothyroidism if it is post partum... not your case or viral may reverse. If it is not either of these then you are stuck with it. Diet, radiation exposure, mineral toxins, autoimmune predisposition, mono, and many other factors can initiate hypothyroidism. In most cases once you are hypothyroid that is it.

Medicating hypothyroidism is a delicate and slow process. Because our body has fluxing demands on thyroid hormones you have to continually check your Ft3 and Ft4 levels to make sure you are stable. Once you have reached a stable and optimal dose any time symptoms return you should get your thyroid levels checked. Thyroid conditions require periodic checks and balances.

Welcome to our dysfunctional thyroid family.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
(male)

jmhky HB User

My FT4 and FT3 were checked and within range. The only thing out of whack was my TSH. I am not sure if they checked any of the antibodies or not. I will take another look at my labs. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You can have Fts in the normal range and still be hypoT. OPtimal for males is 50-80% of normal range. If you are in the bottom of normal range then you probably need some thyroid supplementation.

MG

Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
(male)

jmhky HB User

I started the medicine this morning. I called back and spoke to my doctor's office. I asked about the antibody tests and they seemed clueless. They just want me to take the med's and see if there are any changes in my blood work next month. I scheduled an appointment with an endo for July. This way if my PCP says my levels are still out of whack when he rechecks in a month then I will let the endo manage my medicine. My biggest fear is that I am changing jobs June 1st, and I am scared that for some reason this medicine will send me into Hyper and that would suck. I can handle the symptoms I have now, but I sure don't need a panic attack at my new job.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If I had to, I'd almost guarantee that with a TSH of 26 and a dose of 75 mcgs, you won't be overmedicated/hyper a month from now. Don't worry about it.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
(male)

jmhky HB User

Well it is funny you should bring up diet. From Jan. to mid March I lost 25lbs. I just watched my portion sizes and cut out any junk food. Started snacking on healthy stuff. I really did not have any severe symptoms. I was tired alot and less tolarent to the cold weather, but nothing bad enough to make me see a doctor. I would have never known if it weren't for taking a physical for a new job. I took the physical on a wednsday and my TSH was 22. My doctor retested me on friday and my TSH was already up to 26.

Closed Thread