It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Exclamation Update and meds change.....

I posted an update to my situation on another post but I think it got buried. I was wondring anybody's thooughts on this. I posted my original post below and the update below that.

Original post:
The doc's office just called with lab results. I was on 112 synthroid and 5 of cytomel twice a day. He wants to lower my synthroid to 100 b/c of my tsh! I am still exhausted..Help!

Results
TSH .25
FT3 295 (230-420)
FT4 1.3 (.8-1.8)

UPDATE:
Well, I tried....The NP didn't want to go over the doc's head and keep the Synthroid at 112. She said that he didn't say anything about not changing the Cytomel. So we kind of comprimised. We went to 100 Synthroid and 12.5 Cytomel twice a day. The last test I had on just the 100 of Synthroid prior to going to the 112, my FT3 was at 1.3 also. I am hoping it doesn't go down. Knowing I am lacking big time in the T3 department, I figured this was better than nothing. She also gave me 12 refills on both. I am moving over the summer so at least this will give me some "give" in finding another doc.

She also put in an order to test the acth, am cortisol, renin, aldosterone, cholesterol, and metabolic panel. She gave me a different slip to check my thyroid labs again if I get the chance before I move. I know with going up in the T3, the doc prob won't like my tsh at my retest. I don't know if I will test again here or wait until over the summer when I move and maybe I can find a doc that goes by the free t's only. What do you think?

I was thinking that before going straight to the 100 synthroid 25 cytomel per day that maybe I should do 100 synthroid and 20 cytomel per day for a while. I still have some 5's of cytomel left so I can do that for about three weeks. Would that be long enough for me to tell symptom-wise if this would be a good dose? If it would work for me I could have her change it to the 20 a day before I move.
OR do you think just going to the 100/25 would be ok and then reduce if I have hyper symptoms.....by the way...what symptoms would I notice if it is too much T3???

Last edited by one2wonder; 05-07-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Re: Update and meds change.....

Anybody? I decided to do the 100 synthroid and 12.5 cytomel twice a day.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

That sounds like a logical choice. If after 2 weeks you still feel blah you may need to nudge back to 112 mcgs of T4. Your T4 levels were right at 50%. Lowering them is your MDs knee jerk to the TSH response. Well on 12.5 Cytomel that TSH is going to hit the bottom of the well SO hopefully he will start focusing on your FT levels and not the TSH.

MG

Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Thanks....yeah, actually I'm on a total of 25 of the cytomel a day (12.5 am/pm with the 100 synthroid). At least the NP gave me refills since I am moving and will have to search for a doc that treats by the FT's. It's been almost two weeks on the changed dose. I am still tired but don't have the same "tired" I did when on 112/10. I am going to have to search for a new doc in the area I am moving to. I am starting to call pharmacies to see if they can tell me what docs prescribe cytomel or armour..

Last edited by one2wonder; 05-18-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Closed Thread