It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

boop1153 HB User
armour

Hi i have a question. Just got back thyroid results my tsh is 12.279 and my antibodies are 3038.7. Is there any medication that can lower antibodies.I asked my dr about armour and he said he doesnt prescribe it. Can i just order armour online and start taking it would that be safe. also i have lost almost all of my hair and i am sick of drs saying there is nothing that can be done. please help or point me in the right direction. ty

Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: armour

Nothing can lower Tg antibodies, but selenium can sometimes lower TPO antibodies up to 40%. Take 200 mcgs a day for about a month, then take 100 mcgs daily after that.

Your doctor might not prescribe Armour; few do. But he should have offered you a T4 supplement like Synthroid or generic levothyroxine. Didn't he do at least that much?

You can buy Armour online from illegal sources. Just the fact that it's illegal would make me leery of what I'd actually be getting... whether it's genuine Armour, whether it's fresh, whether it's the right dose. I strongly recommend you don't try that. Get a prescription for T4 first and give it a fair trial. It does work for millions of people, despite what you read on message boards like this. If it happens not to work, then do the legwork necessary to find a legal, local way to get Armour.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Are you saying your Doctor is not willing to treat your Hashimoto's? You sound like you have Hypo symptoms. Is he offering you any medication at all? If that is the case I would find another Doctor.

I had symptoms for years with normal labs and then my Nodules showed up and got everyone's attention. I am on Armour and Cytomel now. I have a true milk allergy and Armour is one of the few thyroid meds that does not have a lactose base.......My Endo does not like Armour either but keeps me on it.

Good luck.........I would get a second opinion.......Oleander

Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

boop1153 HB User

yes i am on 112m of levoxyl but i feel really bad. i have been on levoxyl for years. And the worst thing of all is that i am bald (alopecia). I kinda just want to try something new to see if i get better results. i dont know which way to turn. does hypothyroid cause alopecia?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

HypoT can cause hair loss, but it shouldn't cause complete hair loss if someone is in treatment. However, hypoT is most frequently autoimmune in nature; alopecia is also autoimmune. People who develop one AI condition are prone to have others, and that's likely the only way the hypoT and the alopecia have any relevence to each other.

If your free T3 has been checked, and if it's at the bottom of the lab range, you need a T3 supplement to boost it. If it hasn't been checked at all, insist on the test. You can't know if you need T3 unless you know if you're deficient.

If your MD won't prescribe Armour, ask about Cytomel. MDs aren't as opposed to it because it's synthetic. If he still refuses, set about finding an MD who's more cooperative. You can check the Armour Thyroid physician finder to see if there's someone listed in your area who prescribes it. But please... Don't attempt DIYing it. It's too dangerous.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-06-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
(female)

boop1153 HB User

thank you much. I have never had my T3 checked. I have an appt with an endo on wednesday. I will have him do that test and then go from there. thanks

Closed Thread