It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

cali1892 HB User
Disability due to hypothyroid?

Has anyone had to go on short term disability due to hypothyroid? I'm just wondeing if I'm being a baby or this is kicking my butt that much. I'm still working now. Well, not today I called in, because I just feel so bad, muscle aches and soooo fatigued. But, I find myself considering a leave of abscence. I just can't keep up at work anymore.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
(female)

effected_orchid HB User
Re: Disability due to hypothyroid?

You feel how you feel. Don't let anyone ever tell you you are being a baby. You would have to look into if you would qualify or not. Try and keep you chin up. I know how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I too agree that don't anyone make light of how you feel. I went home yesterday and slept from 3:30-8:30 got up for 1 hour and went back to sleep. It really will kick your tail. I am going today for new labs after work, although this is probably not the optimal time to go, but I am on no meds and won't see the Dr. for about a week. Want to know if I need to start on something. I too am thinking about a leave of absence since I can't seem to keep up with everything and can't remember anything either. So forgetful!! I lose things all the time. I am very frustrated with myself.
Mattieann

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Wouldn't you need to get a doctor to sign off and give the reason? If you have a good relationship with a doctor, you should ask. I think that's the way you get on disability? Hope you get relief soon.....

Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Cali, I looked up your past posts and found that your TSH was 86 just over a month ago, and that you just started treatment. Is that right?

You need to know that your levothyroxine won't be an instant fix. It will take a few months for you to feel significantly better; it will take 6 months or more before you feel completely well. You are likely to have setbacks along the way, too. Most of us had a roller coaster ride of days when we felt better and then felt worse again. But hardly any of our MDs warned us that it's a slow process for most. Yours probably didn't either, but that's the truth of it.

Filing disability isn't an easy process, nor is it fast. I think you'd find it twice as slow as levothyroxine....

You'll feel better eventually. Try to be a patient patient.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

cali1892 HB User

Yes, I started 100mcg levothyroxine about 5 weeks ago. And no no one has told me how long it would take to feel human again. I saw the endo yesterday and he did alot of blood work, I haven't heard anything from that yet. He is supposed to call and I go back to him in 2 weeks. I also have early ms as well, and have not started treatment for that yet either.

I am sure it would take forever to file for temp disability, it's just so hard to keep up at work, or home.

I just wanted to get some feedback on whether it was me not pushing myself hard enough or it this mess.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

No hon, you aren't being "a baby". You are very hypothyroid, so it's no wonder you feel so awful. The dose of levoT you were given reflects how hypoT you are, because most MDs start people out at 50 mcgs or so.

I know exactly what it feels like to have to push yourself so hard you just can't deal with the struggle anymore. But know this... It will get better! Can't tell you exactly when, but it will happen.

Come here and whine when you need to, ok? Wish we could do more for you.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree, it takes time. It can be so frustrating to feel so awful and not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Aside from the treatment you are on at the moment, have you had other things checked out eg: ferritin (iron stores), Vitamin D and B12. These 3 are ones which doctors rarely if ever check and a lot of people, particularly thyroid sufferers can be low in some or all of these. Low ferritin and Vit D would be the most common. for all 3 your ought to be at the higher end of the lab range. A lot of doctors will be happy for you to sit at the bottom and of the range, so long as you are 'within range', but you will feel a lot better when they are at the higher end of the range.

Another thing to look at at some point, if you keep feeling tired, would be your adrenal function, which can make you feel tired, foggy, forgetful. Vit D is very beneficial for a well functioning adrenal gland too.

Hoping you feel better as time goes on

Closed Thread