It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
What does this test mean?

While going through my old endocrinology labs from 2004, when I was 29 years old, I noticed on my complete workup list the results of a test called IGF that was just slightly low (4 points below the threshold for the normal value).

Is this significant at all? From reading what little info I can find doctors sometimes also test Growth Hormone along with this IGF test - my doctor didn't, and never said anything to me about the low value. (All the thyroid levels were normal and the antibody tests were negative).

I've been desperately trying to find relief from major fatigue, muscle weakness, fluid retention, cognitive troubles, etc for seven long years now. Does this test and it's slightly low results hold any answers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: What does this test mean?

Causes of low serum IGF-I are varied the main causes noted in NIH references are malnutrition, diabetes, hypothyroidism, liver disease, hypothalamic/pituitary disfunction. Is your GH also low? You should get your IGF and GH tested now so you have a reference. Your symptoms can easily be under treated hypothyroidism with a mild mineral malabsorption such as low vit D, B12, ferritin.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread