It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User
Have you ever reacted differently to a different synthetic thyroid med? Esp. Levoxyl?

I was taking Synthroid last year and early this year. It was doing ok for me but I was given a chance to try Levoxyl by my endo. Why not give it a try, right? It's just a different brand. Not for my body, it isn't.

Synthroid / Levoxyl
1) Slimmer body / Bloated body
2) Face a tiny bit slimmer / Face has contours/much slimmer
3) Better temperament / Rage and manic feelings
4) Sleep normal but some snoring / Sleep with a lot less snoring
5) Forgetfulness / Very alert and mind is focused
6) Swollen tongue / Tongue has very few indentations
7) Hair getting thicker / Hair getting thicker
8) Normal periods / Not getting periods

I love the way Levoxyl makes me look in the face (since I tend to bloat in the face first before anywhere else) but sparse periods, rage, manic feelings, and crying episodes are not helping me. My labs on Synthroid are about 1.8 for TSH and upper quartile for the T4. I will go to the lab tomorrow and find out later this week about my Levoxyl results. Wonder if my husband is hating me for my terrible moods in the past coupld of months.

Please share your experience with changing synthetic T4 meds. I wonder if I am an outlier feeling this way.

Thanks.

Last edited by librarygirl2; 05-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Have you ever reacted differently to a different synthetic thyroid med? Esp. Levo

Yes, I was on generic when I started meds after my thyroidectomy/RAI. My blood levels were identicle on the generic and synthroid, but when I switched to synthroid, I felt less lethargic, and got thru. the day without crashing in the afternoon. It could be coincidence, but I won't change from synthroid now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: Have you ever reacted differently to a different synthetic thyroid med? Esp. Levo

Wow Reece I didn't know that about you. This makes me want to try synthroid given how I've been feeling as I'm on the generic levothyroxine now. How long from when you switched to feeling some relief? And - you just **switched** over? All at once?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I just switched at once, I was on generic for about 3 months or so, and a month into synthroid felt better---it could just be coincidence that I started getting used to being on meds, as I hadn't been previously, who knows? I just know my tsh was identicle on both, I just felt better with the brand, finally became myself, and the good thing is you don't have to worry about the pharmacy switching brands on you, and it's not a very expensive drug either.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
(female)

JaneM HB User

My insurance company switched me from Synthroid to a generic last year, and it made me sick. I had been on Synthroid for several years before the insurance company made the swap. Sorry I don't remember which generic it was. It took about three weeks before I started to feel horrible. I felt really out of it -- foggy, anxious, almost like my skin was crawling. Really strange! My doctor was appalled that the insurance company would just substitute thyroid meds. He said that thyroid meds should never just be switched like that. He had to fill out special paperwork but got my Synthroid back for me. Sadly, my doctor moved to another practice, so I can only hope my new doctor will feel the same.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

This is very interesting. Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to try synthroid. Also, I talked to my sister today who has Graves and takes synthroid. She said her endo always verifies with her that she's taking the name brand.

I agree with you also Reece about the risk of the pharmacy switching the generics. I went through that with a generic Paxil, and now it's a big ***pain*** in the rear as the generic they switched to didn't work for me. So - now - every month - I have to call, talk to a live person, and have them spacial order in the ***other*** generic that does work.

Anyway, if this easy switch brings some relief, I will be ever so grateful! Holding a good thought

Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
(female)

jill60 HB User

Last year my RX took it upon themselves to change my Synthroid to the generic brand. I was calling my hormone Dr. & telling her how bad I felt & could it be my bhrt, then it dawned on me. It had been about 5 weeks & I was getting all my hypo symptoms. I called her & told her what the RX had done & she said she couldn't take generic. I just had to get a letter from my Dr. stating that I had to have Synthroid & not the generic. Once I got started back on the Synthroid it took a few week & then I felt better!

Jill

Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Wow, thanks everyone for the repies. You would think that changing to a different brand or generic would make you feel different but you can't believe how big a difference it can be whether it is on the positive side or the negative side.

The Levoxyl is driving my moods and taste buds crazy. One minute I'm really happy and the next I'm really ticked off at something my husband says. Also, the taste in foods is not really consistent either. I do like Synthroid in that it is very stable and keeps me like a normal person. I was also keeping my weight down, as well as regulated, and not experiencing any sort of joint or muscle pains.

My FT4 is a bit higher on Levoxyl (around 95% of the range for Levoxyl and 80% for Synthroid) but the FT3 is still the same. I truly thought my conversion would be better on Levoxyl but I know it doesn't help me in that aspect.

Closed Thread