It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
New labs after being on Armour for 6 months - advise please!

Hi Guys

Hoping someone here can help me out please - I'm at a bit of a loss with this one! I started NTH 6 months ago. I thought I had a really good doctor in Sydney but have found that she is actually just prescription happy and would rather prescribe 10 different things to deal with the symptoms of a condition, than actually treat the condition itself... the reason being... she gets paid per script... by me!!!!

She has me on HC - this brought down my DHEA and Free Testosterone (she wouldnt link that fact) so she then prescribed DHEA and Test cream... I opted to reduce my HC rather than use those and it seems to be doing the trick... DHEA is on its way back up - still waiting for the results for Free Test.

I also have Cholesterol issues since starting HC and NTH which she wanted to prescribe me something for... I opted to change my diet... I also read that HC can increase cholesterol and obviously being hypo is a factor too...

My Estrogen is also low (again I've read that this can be attributed to taking HC... mmmm) I thought HC might be my miracle cure but now I'm thinking otherwise!!

Anyway for now I suppose I'd better just focus on my thyroid labs... which are:

Labs after being on 120mg NTH for 3 months - FT4 still below but FT3 coming up pretty well... my concern is that if I increase my NTH my FT3 will go too high... but if I add T4 only this could be converted to T3 and the same problem could occur... its such a puzzle!

TSH: 0.91 (0.40 - 3.50)
FT4: 8.1 (9.0 - 19.0) *
FT3 : 4.0 (2.6 - 6.0)

Labs after being on 90mg NTH for 3 months:

TSH: 6.3 (0.40 - 3.50) *
FT4: 6.7 (9.0 - 19.0) *
FT3 : 2.8 (2.6 - 6.0) *

Labs prior to moving to NTH while on 112mcg T4 only

TSH: 0.79 (0.40 - 3.50)
FT4: 15 (9.0 - 19.0)
FT3 : 3.7 (2.6 - 6.0)

Any advice, as always, is very very much appreciated!

Thanks

Rachelle

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Re: New labs after being on Armour for 6 months - advise please!

Rachel...Ohhhh.... I am sorry to hear that...I am not professional on this, but trying to say something...

It is said that nutrition could contribute to the low or high FT3,especially iodine and selenium. Low selenium level leads to low FT3. so does low magnesium evel. So I think low FT3 is not necessarily linked to HC/DHEA or other hormones. Have you ever had your vitamins/minerals evaluated?

And for your consistently elevated FT3, I have a friend who also has NTH because he is allergic to synthetic T4. He eliminated his NTH completely for several months after FT3 was high out of the maximumm level, and then he waited until FT3 dropped. I don't know what he did is right or not. Because he had hyperthyroidism history, he was so scared of high FT3 which was a indicator of hyper.

Last edited by cutejenny77; 05-15-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Thanks cutejenny

I've made an appt with a holistic doctor who will do all the relevant vitamin/mineral evaluations so I'll wait and see what comes back from him

My concern is more about my FT4 I guess than my FT3... I'm quite happy with where my FT3 is... but dont want it go drive even further away from my FT4 (which is what I fear will happen if I increase my NTH).

I'm just getting fed up of playing this game I have to say

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

hormones interact with each other. It is a very complicated thing I think. And we should be very careful about them, and don't break their natural balance...Maybe you could go back to conventional MD. I personally like sythetic T4 although I also had a month of low FT3/high FT4, but I didn't rush to NTH, the FT3/FT4 went back to the same percentage.

Every individual is different...HC/NTH as a miracle cure for some people, but may not be others'

Old 05-16-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
hormones interact with each other. It is a very complicated thing I think. And we should be very careful about them, and don't break their natural balance...Maybe you could go back to conventional MD. I personally like sythetic T4 although I also had a month of low FT3/high FT4, but I didn't rush to NTH, the FT3/FT4 went back to the same percentage.

Every individual is different...HC/NTH as a miracle cure for some people, but may not be others'
You're so right there! My hormones are all over the place, Free Test low, Estrogen Low, SHBG pretty much non existent etc etc etc.. and coupled with trying to stabilise adrenals and thyroid... its just no joke!!! Onwards and upwards though

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygwyn View Post
You're so right there! My hormones are all over the place, Free Test low, Estrogen Low, SHBG pretty much non existent etc etc etc.. and coupled with trying to stabilise adrenals and thyroid... its just no joke!!! Onwards and upwards though
One good thing to come out of everything is that my Ferritin is now well up. Started at 36 (my goal was 70-90 although my doc thought 36 was perfect!!). I started taking elemental iron daily which took it up to 79 (didnt mention this to doc... although when she saw it at 79 she said 'perfect' again!!! didnt ask how come it had increased!!). I then reduced to every other day to see what happened and this time my ferritin came back at 99 so I'll now stop it altogether and see how it goes.

The only good thing that my new doc gives me, is the opportunity to be prescribed NTH & HC (although I'm not sure its the right way to go for me... but at least I've been able to try it) and she'll also do any blood tests I ask for ($$$ driven again sadly as I have to pay for each request she writes up for me). What made me laugh with my last bloods was I asked her to explain one of the results for me (a test I had asked for myself and not her) and she said "oh thats fine... I just wanted to test that to make sure"... she didnt even know that it was me who requested it not her!! haha... gotta laugh or you'll cry eh?!!

I was really hoping that this doc of mine would get me on the road to recovery (I'm sure many of us have had that feeling) but to find out that shes driven by $$ rather than a real interest in what she does and treating each of her patients as individuals, is a real let down.

Oh well... one more doctor down is getting me closer to the right one I guess!!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Last edited by tygwyn; 05-17-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

It is said that balancing hormones is like an art, and the ones who perform it is hormone artists.

For ferritin, I upped the dose to 27 mg of ferrochel, the level climbed up to 65. but now down to 18 mg, which is RDA for women. Ferritin I tested last time was 58.

When I was at 27 mg, I found it seemed that It was easy for me to bleed. So that made me cut the dose down. And my lips turned very red (dark red), which was so scary. But I am testing, I don't know if 27 mg is too much, or 18 mg is not enough. Could the lowered ferritin make me fatigued easily? Let's see.

PS.On wiki, ferritin can not be less than 50, if so, one will be fatigued.

Another concern is that if one is kinda mercury toxic, one can not be overdosed with iron. So not only ferritin is the centre of the show.

Last edited by cutejenny77; 05-17-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
It is said that balancing hormones is like an art, and the ones who perform it is hormone artists.

For ferritin, I upped the dose to 27 mg of ferrochel, the level climbed up to 65. but now down to 18 mg, which is RDA for women. Ferritin I tested last time was 58.

When I was at 27 mg, I found it seemed that It was easy for me to bleed. So that made me cut the dose down. And my lips turned very red (dark red), which was so scary. But I am testing, I don't know if 27 mg is too much, or 18 mg is not enough. Could the lowered ferritin make me fatigued easily? Let's see.

PS.On wiki, ferritin can not be less than 50, if so, one will be fatigued.

Another concern is that if one is kinda mercury toxic, one can not be overdosed with iron. So not only ferritin is the centre of the show.
Glad to hear you've been able to sort you ferritin out too... some people take elemental iron and still cant bring it up for some reason?

Yep I'd read that under 50 wasnt good also but my doctor was under the impression that 36 was perfect... however, like I said previously... she also later said that 79 was perfect!!! haha)

What dosage of T4 are you on at the moment? I was on 112mcg before making the change - thankfully I still have a fridge full of the stuff as I may well end up heading back to it in the next couple of months. We'll see though - I wont rush into anything.

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

My dosage of T4 currently is 81 mcg. I think that could be an end for up and down.

Closed Thread