It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

deirdre8256 HB User
When do you get the pathology results after Thyroidectomy?

I am scheduled for a total thyroidectomy next week. The dr said When I return for my post-op visit he will discuss with me the pathology results. From reading online and different websites, which I have done a lot of since this solid mass was seen on an ultrasound report, I have read about patients who have had a thyroidectomy done, and in the recovery room or soon after are told the results of their pathology whether benign or cancerous. Is it usually done at the post op visit or sooner?

Thanks

Last edited by deirdre8256; 05-16-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: When do you get the pathology results after Thyroidectomy?

I think it took about 10 days for me to get my path report.

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

I was told the following morning when the Dr. came in with the resident. They didn't tell me everything that was on the pathology report, though. Make sure you get a copy from your endo--you will be glad you have that info, especially if you change Doctors or doing your own research. Hopefully your nodule will be benign---let us know!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

It really depends.

During surgeries, sometimes, they do a "frozen section" pathology while you are in surgery, to see if the nodule is benign or not, and if it isn't, they remove the rest of the thyroid (this can be done if they are originally doing a partial---and there was an inconclusive or suspicious fna).

Those results however, are not final. The final pathology is far more accurate than the rushed frozen section, and that could come a couple of days later. My surgeon gave me my pathology at my post op visit (they weren't a surprise).

A friend of mine had the frozen section, it was "benign" but the final pathology turned out to be cancerous, and then she had to have another surgery several weeks later to get rest of the thyroid out.

Also, every hospital is different, as will be the timing for the pathology, hopefully you'll know quickly that everything is fine.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
(female)

deirdre8256 HB User

Thank you everyone, my surgery is tomorrow. This board has been very helpful during the time between ny first endo appt, ultrasounds, scans etc. I will post when I am able to, thanks again everyone.

Closed Thread