It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

PapillonRose HB User
Tinnitus and thyroid?

Hello All,

Does any of you know of a possible connection between tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and thyroid disease, either hypo or hyper? I have suffered from mild tinnitus for years and was resigned to the fact that it seemed to be the fate of all the women in my family. But, having noticed a change (increase and different pitch) as my meds were modified (less synthroid, cytomel added), I am wondering if there is any known connection--either scientifically recognized or simply from experience.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Tinnitus and thyroid?

There's definitely a scientifically recognized connection between the two, but I haven't been able to find a reason for the 'mechanics' of it.

I hope you'll find eventual relief from your ear noise as your dose gets optimized. Since you've noticed some change, you just might. My own tinnitus seems to be getting worse despite optimal thyroid treatment. drat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

I found that when I was very much overly suppressed I was extremely sensitive to sound. I think it was called hyperacusis.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Talking Re: Tinnitus and thyroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonRose View Post
Hello All,

Does any of you know of a possible connection between tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and thyroid disease, either hypo or hyper? I have suffered from mild tinnitus for years and was resigned to the fact that it seemed to be the fate of all the women in my family. But, having noticed a change (increase and different pitch) as my meds were modified (less synthroid, cytomel added), I am wondering if there is any known connection--either scientifically recognized or simply from experience.

Thanks!
Yes! From what you said, it is related to T3 level! Actually, I also feel tinnitus and the jaw/tight jaw as long as my FT3 level was low in the lab... I think we can keep a diary of lab as well as symptom to trace the changes, and then adjust the dose.

BTW, how can you get cytomel, why don't you try armour as many did? Did you add cytomel following doctor's guide?

Thank you.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
(female)

PapillonRose HB User

Thank you all (again ) for your responses.

Cutejenny77, the cytomel was prescribed by my GP himself, after a couple of years on synthroid only. I was the one to suggest it, as certain symptoms were still debilitating: afternoon slump (and "slump" is putting it mildly), intolerance to temperatures under 80 degrees (think flannel pajamas and wool socks in the summer), brain fog, slow but steady weight gain.

I am grateful that my GP is more ready to listen to me than simply read the labs. I have had to bring the cytomel dose down, as I had severy hyper symptoms on the original dose. On 12.5 mcg, right now, I am not cold any more, and the afternoon slump has eased a bit, but in the morning the slightest noise makes me jump and I have a very hard time keeping focused on anything--my mind races in all sorts of directions, though my heart is still the same. So at this point, cytomel feels better in some areas and worse in others. If nothing changes, I will bring up Armour at my next visit.

You mentioned your T3 levels in relation to tinnitus. Can you give me a sense of your ranges of comfort? My 3 hasn't been tested in 2 years, but I know I only start feeling better when my TSH is under .5.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

My latest lab

FT3 4.18 pmol/l 3.1 6.8 29%
FT4 18.74pmol/l 12 22 67%
TSH 0.35 mIU/l 0.27 4.2 2%

I think jaw stiffness indicates my low FT3. I am considering cytomel too. probably it can clear out some RT3.

Closed Thread