It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

jbo123 HB User
Hyperthyroid newbie needing help

Hello All,
I am new to this so bear with me. So nice to read the posts, thank you. 3 months ago I was diagnosed with 5 cm enlarged Thyroid. I was not really aware of it until they discovered it through a chest scan. It was tested and not found to be cancerous. No symptons then and Thyroid tests were normal.
Since then I have had much stress with a job loss and ongoing divorce and now I wake up after falling asleep all night with hyper speed like sensations and hot damp skin. Recent Thyroid tests show again normal levels.
They want to remove the Thyroid based on its size but I don't know if it is aggravated from the stress or just the stress which is really high now causing the symptons. I would hate to have it removed, be on Thyroid medication and still be a nervous wreck.
Any help, ideas or prayers are welcome.
Thank you.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid newbie needing help

You probably need antibody testing to see if it's graves or hashimoto's or maybe both. Have your tpo's and tsi done, it'll show Graves,but maybe tsi isn't high enough to make hormones go high yet,keep getting tested every 4 weeks or so if you can. You need a Free T 4 and Free T 3 done along with tsh.
p.s stress is a BIG known trigger of Graves disease

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 06-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
(male)

jbo123 HB User

Thanks so much for your post.

My test scores were as follows:
T4: 11.2
TSH w/FREE T4 RFX: 0.52
T3: 132

Anything alarming there? Dr. says they are close to normal.

I say why lose 15 pounds in a month and can stay awake all night adrenaline pumping?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
(male)

jbo123 HB User

Thanks so much for your post.

My test scores were as follows:
T4: 11.2
TSH w/FREE T4 RFX: 0.52
T3: 132

Anything alarming there? Dr. says they are close to normal.

I say why lose 15 pounds in a month and can stay awake all night adrenaline pumping?

Thanks much.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi! It would be better to have the "free" t 3 and 4 done. They are unbound hormones that are circulating in your blood stream right now. They may show higher levels. The tsh isn't too low. Mine was undetectable at diagnosis. See if you can have a TSI test done..thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins. This would confirm Graves. Also TPO antibodies tests. Something is going on with your thyroid for sure with your symptoms.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on GG.

You need more thorough testing. You need to determine the source of your hyperthyroidism. You need to get FTs run for more accurate ACTUAL thyroid hormone levels. Also you need a FULL and top of the line antibody test run. This means you need the following lab codes requested:

TPOAb and TGAb - Hashimoto's identifiers.
TSI and TRAb - Graves Disease identifiers.

IF these come back negative you need to get a radioactive thyroid uptake scan to see if it is a hot nodule at fault.

Treatment will depend on the source of the hyperT. Graves/Hashimoto's will be treated with anti-thyroid meds and beta blockers initially. If and when the thyroid collapses then thyroid supplementation. Hot nodules can be handled in two ways. RAI ablation of the thyroid.. I DO not recommend this.. or a partial thyroidectomy. Both have their up and down sides.

You are just getting started in your search for the source of your issues. Good luck and we will help where we can.

MG

Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
(male)

jbo123 HB User

Thanks again so much for all your help. The Drs. are not much help and are eager to just remove the Thyroid versus treat it. I will request the tests you mentioned. The right side thyroid measures this 5.0 X 3.3 X 3.6 cm with multinodular nodules and the left side is enlarged too although not nearly that much. I can see the right side as a soft bulge in my neck but not super noticable yet. It was aspirated and not cancerous. It's definately not shrinking.
The Drs. think that its pointless to treat it as removal will solve the hyper problem and then be put on meds.

Any basis or advantage to their position?

Thanks again...
Jim

Old 06-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Have they done a biopsy of the nodules? The multinodular nature smacks of Hashimoto's. I would insist on thorough testing then an attempt to manage with medication first. Surgery and radioactive ablation should be the last resort. Many MDs see hyperT and want the thyroid out or destroyed, because they feel it is easier to manage the hypoT than the hyperT.

I have both Graves and Hashimoto's, but I am managing mine. I have four Aunts and my mom with thyroid AIs as well. RAIs were unsuccessful and rough on one Aunt and she ended up with surgical removal after 2 RAIs. I have one Aunt with pure Graves that has managed hers with meds for well over 15 years now. Removal is just easier in some MDs opinions.

MG

Old 06-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
(male)

jbo123 HB User

Thanks so much mkgbrook! Yes they did a biopsy (needle aspiration) and it is not cancerous.
I'm getting a little freaked out with this whole thing and the night time andrenaline rush. I so used to look forward to bedtime, now I dread it. Some nights I am up from midnight on. I am trying to keep it together but feel like I am "losing" it a little more each day. Each day is more and more a struggle and I feel I'm getting weaker and less able to cope. I hope I can get this turned around. It helps to know this board is here and everyone who is helping. Thank you...

Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can at least try the meds if your Frees come back hyper. It won't make the nodules go away but could shrink them and the size of your thyroid. I don't seem to have any nodules that I know of and not an enlarged thyroid either so I can't say if maybe if i were you, I'd want it out. You'll have to get more tests done I think to make a decision. I think for hyper functioning nodules, they do recommend surgery instead of meds.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
(male)

jbo123 HB User

Are there any suggestions for dealing with these adrenaline like rushes that happen at night? I fall asleep but wake up around midnight like I drank 4 cups of coffee, then awake till dawn. It really makes for a long night and even longer day. I have tried Kava, Valerian Root but nothing seems to make any difference.
I read too these are secretions of Cortisol for a burned out adrenal system. I don't know which way to go to be able to function to go to Step A.
Thanks so much...

Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

When i was first diagnosed with Graves I took Lunesta. It really helped and it's non narcotic. You can ask your doc about this. I used to just lay there hoping the heart racing would stop, it was awful! You don't have to suffer.

Closed Thread