It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

Dawn80 HB User
Synthroid and St. John's Wort

Has anyone taken St. John's Wort while on Synthroid? I am trying to find something for my anxiety and do not want to take a prescription. Is it safe to try St. John's Wort? I read some stuff saying it interfered with Synthroid.
Has St. John's Wort helped anyone suffering from anxiety due to being hypo?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Synthroid and St. John's Wort

I don't know if St John's wort will interfere with thyroxine therapy or not but I guess my question is why are you still hypo? How long have you been on Synthroid? Some don't do well on T4-only medication and if you don't find you're getting better you might want to explore other treatments like desiccated thyoid. You also should take a look at your adrenals to make sure they are functioning properly so you can get the most benefit from your therapy.

My understanding of this it that once you are treated properly you shouldn't need anti-depressants.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

Dawn80 HB User

I've been on Synthroid for almost a year and my doctor says my levels are good but I still don't feel 100% so I may find a new endo. Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I don't know what levels your doctor is referring to as being "good" but I suspect he's just going by the TSH which is a lousy way to monitor thyroid treatment. Find someone to order a Free T3 and Free T4 so you can see where you really are at. Most endos are pretty useless at this unless you can find the rare progressive variety. I'm going to a great family doc now who has an interest in hormone treatments.

Take some time to read posts here too and you will learn a great deal about this. Good luck to you!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Wish we could find out if St. John's Wort does interfere with T4 treatment. I've been thinking I might have an Absorption problem, and wondering what to do about that.

Life has many ups and downs, and we must realize anybody can get reactive depression, whether or not they're a thyroid patient, right?

I've also replied in a related thread, don't know if it's in this list.

Closed Thread