It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Vitamin B12 range controversy

Just what I need, another controversy over lab test ranges...

I just had some more bloodwork done and the results of my vitamin B12 is listed as in range: 377 (211-911). But reading on other forums and in that online encyclopedia that must not be named it appears that the B12 ranges in this country may be outdated and incorrect. I understand that the Japanese have a more progressive view on B12 deficiency and have raised their lower range to 550. This would mean that I'm actually very deficient.

I do have many B12 deficiency symptoms, including weird migraines that obscure my vision for periods of time, twitching thumbs and eyelids, etc. I do plan to go on the sublingual suppliments and retest later. I'm wondering if others here have had this same experience or have been told they are "normal" with their labs and may want to re-explore this issue.

I was also surprised to see that my D levels are below range: 22.6 (32-100), and I live in Arizona and am about as brown as a caucasian person can be . Obviously I'm not converting well due to my hypothyroid issues.

Last edited by javelina; 06-28-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Vitamin B12 range controversy

I have the same issues as well. My B12 came back at 324 (211-911)originally and I was told it was normal was well. I started taking 5mg (that's not a mistake, it's 84,000X the daily requirement) of sublingual B12 daily. My level went to the 400's then to 504. I haven't had it tested in a while as I was paying myself. I also have low Vitamin D. Last check was 24 (40-100). I took 50,000IU pills for months but my calcium level went too high so I stopped. Now take 4000IU daily but it will not boost my levels, they just keep falling. I, too, have a great tan as the Pacific Northwest has had a great sunny last month!

It must be a Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid thing.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 07-21-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

pboeck HB User

I have read the same literature, and I believe the Japanese are on the right track. Doctors here in the US are largely clueless about B12. They all seem to think you have to have pernicious anemia to have a low B12 and that is NOT true. Low B12 can affect your nerves and not your blood. My B12 value was 190 and I was told it was "low normal", also not true. My neurologist told me my neurologic symptoms were idiopathic and we would probably never know the cause. Luckily I found a neurologist at a major medical center who was up to date on B12 and knew right away that I had a deficiency and needed to be treated with injections. I do not have a medical degree but tell everyone I talk to about this to start sublingual tablets. Supplements taken orally may not be absorbed well if at all. People on Metformin and other drugs for diabetes will not absorb B12 well and should be on supplements or injections.

My son is dating a girl who is a med student and her attending told them this week that the thought now is that a higher percentage of the US population actually has a B12 deficiency than previously thought and if not treated it can cause cognitive deficits, possibly dementia. I know that some people have been diagnosed with MS when in reality they have a B12 deficiency. I wish the medical community in the US would get better informed about this before more people are told they will have to "live with it" as I was told. I was then prescribed an antidepressant, sleeping pill, and an antiseizure drug for neuropathic pain. I am much, much better after six months of injections.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There's a lot more profit in antidepressants, sleeping pills, and an anti-seizure drugs than there is in vitamins. That's what the practice of medicine has become in the US, unfortunately.
We have to look out for ourselves, folks. Can't stress that enough.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

pboeck HB User

That is exactly what the practice of medicine has become in this country. It was easier for my neurologist to sit there and write out three prescriptions for me than to discuss the possibility that my pain/deficits were caused from a B12 deficiency. By the way, the sleeping pill caused me to be severely depressed so I stopped that and never took the antidepressant or antiseizure drug. What I did was find a wonderful acupuncturist who helped me greatly with my depression and pain until my body could benefit from the B12 injections which, in my case, took five weeks. Of course, my insurance did not pay for his treatment and it was expensive, but I am so thankful I found him.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
(female)

ard164 HB User

Please read "Could it be B12?" and get proper testing done for Pernicious Anemia, including UMMA and anti-Intrinsic factor antibodies. B12 serum level tests are CRAP, if you're not able to absorb or metabolize B12 from food your blood levels can be high but your tissue levels nil . Get on it ASAP, please, I just diagnosed myself, doctors are NOT aware enough about this problem, I've lost 10+ important years of my life and want others not to do the same...

Closed Thread