It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
How often should a nodule be checked?

PLEASE, can anyone tell me how often an ultrasound or something else is used to check a nodule. I have only one small, solid, hypoechoic nodule that was 6x4x4mm when it was last checked with ultrasound last July. Should it be checked again? My Endo usually just feels my neck.

I sometimes worry because it is just ONE nodule but it is solid and hypoechoic. My ultrasound also said the typical parenchymal changes of thyroiditis are NOT present. (I do have positive Tg and TPO antibodies and currently taking Synthroid and Cytomel).
Thanks, Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Re: How often should a nodule be checked?

I'm curious as well. I have a 1.1cm nodule that was biopsied last year (was benign). I've since changed doctors and my new one doesn't think it's necessary to do another ultrasound. I worry because I don't want it to keep getting bigger and no one notice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

My Endo's & ENT wanted Ultrasounds every 6 months for the first year & a half then once a year unless I have pressure symptoms. Fam

Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

So does it not seem strange for the TSH to be absolutely normal and the FT4 and FT3 to be so low with so many symptoms of hypothyroid still. I know the Cytomel suppresses the TSH but I can't help but think either the nodule is causing the problem or the medication is not enough or the problem MAY be with the pituitary and not with the thyroid itself?

TSH 1.08 (.45-1.45)
FT4 .79 (.61-1.76) 15.65% of range
FT3 2.7 (2.3-4.2) 21.05% of range

Any others with info on checking the nodule or ideas to present to my Endo this week would be appreciated.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 07-21-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I do not see any posts for today. This is very unusual to not get any replies.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Hi, I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I don't know very much about Thyroid issues. I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroid in April. I have been on meds since and am feeling better. My last test showed my TSH about what yours are.
I had lots of symptoms of Hypo, but I was still a little surprised when the doctor told me my blood work indicated a problem. She also gave me a physical exam at that time.

Oddly enough, just this week, I noticed a lump or swollen area on the left side of my collarbone. It's not painful, but it noticeable as a girl in my office called it to my attention. Now, I'm worried. I'm wondering if it's thyroid related, or something worse. I guess I'll see if it goes down over the weekend and if not, make an appointment to get it checked out. Anyone have anything like this?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Hoppy,
Interesting question, because I believe all docs have their own thoughts on this. My doc, ordered an ultrasound, saw the nodule, reordered another in 6 months, had a FNA which was inconclusive, and ordered one FINAL ultrasound 6 months later.
She proceeded to tell me that I was done even checking it, that it had not grown or changed from the 5 mm, that I can forget about it.
Well, the radiologist who did the FNA TOLD me to always have it rechecked yearly FOREVER, that his own wife has one and that you can't let it go, it must be monitored.

I told the nurse that the radiologist said to continue to have it monitored and she said, "no, the doc said you are done."
I told my PCP about it and said I am done going to this new doc, and that I want it rechecked {this was 2 years later} I had another ultrasound, it had grown, had a FNA, and it was cancer.
I tell you this not to scare you, but OBVIOUSLY in my case, thank God I had listened to the radiologist.
Have your nodule rechecked periodically, they can and do grow and change.
Best to be safe..............I am fine now. Just my 2 cents...keep an eye on it.
Take care,
Lori

Old 07-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Thanks so much Lori! I am glad you are OK now. I just have a feeling about this as the thyroid has not changed due to the Hashimotos (and I believe it usually looks different with this autoimmune disease). Last ultrasound said typical parenchymal changes of thyroiditis are NOT present. The doctor said it had not changed between 2007 and 2008 so we will wait another six months and I can have an ultrasound at the end of the year. He just felt around with his hands. Did you have ANY symptoms at all?

Thanks so much for your reply. Hoppy

Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Hoppy,
nope, not one symptom. It was a shock. All bloodwork was normal. Ultrasounds and the first FNA= normal. Thye cells obviously changed over a couple year period. No one was at all concerned, not the doc, not the radiologist, so..............not me, either. Then, the shock of a lifetime, cancer. Hate that word.
Good luck and keep monitoring it!!
Lori

Closed Thread