It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User
Just got a positive home pregnancy test

Its about 5 weeks now..
I am happy and terribly fearful.
I am celiac with hashi's and I just am very afraid after reading what I've been reading about issues with he unborn child.
Am really worried about the antigliadin antibodies and the thyroid peroxidase messing up the kid.

Just needed to let this out.
I called the endo today to ask about the synthroid dosage adjustment.

Last edited by dream77; 07-17-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

superboo HB User
Re: Just got a positive home pregnancy test

I don't have any encouragement to offer (sorry!), except that I have heard that the most important thing is that your TSH is normal for pregnancy. I too, wonder how having Hashimoto's affects pregnancy exactly. Hopefully you have a happy and uneventful 9 months ahead of you! Congrats!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

Jelohi HB User

I had my daughter just before I was diagnosed with Hashis. I had thyroid symptoms for a long time before that & my TSH was "normal" (insert eye roll) so I was never treated. She is absolutely fine.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Awww, congrats! The friend of a friend who referred me to Dr. Bueso was in the same situation as you....Hashimotos, high antibodies, etc. All she takes is 25 Synthroid and had a very easy pregnancy and healthy baby. She said it didn't even play into the pregnancy. You and baby will be fine. Keep us posted!!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

superboo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
Awww, congrats! The friend of a friend who referred me to Dr. Bueso was in the same situation as you....Hashimotos, high antibodies, etc. All she takes is 25 Synthroid and had a very easy pregnancy and healthy baby. She said it didn't even play into the pregnancy. You and baby will be fine. Keep us posted!!
Sparkie, did your friend only have high antibodies (normal tsh)? Did the synthroid take symptoms away?

How are you feeling, Dream77?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Congratulations! Pregnancy must be catching.

I have Hashimoto's, Graves, hypoadrenalism, PCOS, Insulin resistance, and.. well that is enough endocrine issues.

Antibodies TPOAb and TGAb put the thyroid of your fetus at higher risk of attack while in your womb. If you are treated properly with thyroid meds your antibodies should be controlled and less willing to attack the fetus's developing thyroid. However your OB and MFM have to watch your fetal development carefully! WHat does this mean? Well I have some of the best OB/MFM care and a high risk OB sister double checking my MDs. My MFM and OB see me at least every 4 weeks. What do they do? Well the MFM does a targeted US of the fetus to make sure growth is normal and expected. They also do extensive blood work and testing of my thyroid, vit B12, vit D, and whatever else comes up.

Now thyroid levels.... IGNORE THE NORMAL TSH MYTH! TSH means NOTHING NOW!! My MDs do not even test my TSH. They test my RT3, FT3, FT4 levels every 2 - 4 weeks depending on my symptoms. What the fetus needs from you is about 18-20 % of your T4. Until 22 weeks the fetus takes the T4 it needs for growth and development FROM your supplies. After 22 weeks the fetus's thyroid comes on line AND begins to take up some of the slack... however pregnant metabolism and changes require a continued increase in T4/T3.

My endocrine system was a mess to begin with and pregnancy put the nails in the coffin of my thyroid it just died. So my thyroid hormone demands have been above the NORMAL expected trend. I have increased over 40 mcgs of T4 and had to add T3 since getting pregnant. I will need to increase again tomorrow. Pregnancy also triggered a RT3 conversion loop error as well. This resulted in a need for addition of T3 to stop the mysterious demands on my T4. Hopefully as my T3 levels increase so will my T4 levels. Make sure that the MDs TEST ONLY FREE T3 and T4 levels. TOTAL T3 and T4 levels will not give accurate levels or results given Estrogen and Hcg pregnancy levels. You have to have the FTs!!!

Now my take on antibodies and the information I have received from my MDs and research. My antibody levels were over 2000 and my fetal development is fine so far. The key to see if the antibodies are affecting the fetus will be seen through frequent sonagram evaluation. The antibody's will play a bigger role ONCE the fetus's thyroid comes on line at 22 weeks... until then your vitamin levels and T4 levels are the most important. As long as you have FT4 levels 50%+ of normal range then your fetus is getting what it need to develop. The targeted US monitoring of the fetus will tell if the fetus suffers thyroid attack and inflammation because it will determine thyroid size and artifacts. If the fetus shows nodule development/inflammation a good MD will increase your thyroid meds in an attempt to suppress the thyroid issues. At 35-40% of Ft4 normal range the Fetus will get what it needs but you will be left lacking. It is only when you fall below 30% that the fetus and you will suffer the effects of hypoT. This will be picked up quickly because the fetal development, monitored through US, will stall or decrease. A sonogram every 4 weeks is IMPORTANT in the first two trimesters. After 22 weeks the sonograms may become more frequent than every 4 weeks.

I have been in the 30-40% lacking range this whole time. We are hoping that the addition of Armour will finally allow me to get my FT4 and FT3 levels to a comfortable level for me as well as the fetus. I go back again tomorrow for my 15 week 5 day testing and check up. If my nugget is not shy we may be able to tell if it is a boy or a girl. Hoping for another boy! I have been to my OB at 5 weeks, 8 weeks, 11 weeks, and will now go at 15 weeks. I will have 19 week, 22 week and I think they will be increasing my visits after that. My OB doesn't expect me to carry past 35-36 weeks given my issues. So as long as all continues to go well we should have a second baby for Christmas. In between I have been seeing my IM that deals with my endocrine issues, however now my IM is just working through conference unless I get ill with my OBs. She has been testing my thyroid and adrenals and adjusting my medication aggressively. You will need to stay on top of your MDs. Mine work with me, if you question yours ride them and make them give you and your nugget the treatment you all deserve.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 07-20-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Well said. My endo blew me off when, five minutes after I got a positive pregnancy test, I told him I was pregnant. Told me to come in right away for blood work; my numbers were *okay* for walking around, but certainly not for pregnancy. That's when he blew me off. Saw my marginal numbers and said come back in four weeks for more blood work. Every instinct in my body was screaming at me to INSIST on a medicine bump, but I thought 4 weeks wasn't too far away and maybe it'll be okay. ( Did you know that humans are the only species that actively ignore or second guess their instincts?)

ANyhoo, by the time four weeks came, I already knew I was having a miscarriage. I had an 8 week ultrasound that showed a strangely shaped empty sac. But, I kept that appointment anyway. That blood work showed that my numbers had shot up in the wrong direction, which I knew because I could feel it. Needless to say, I ripped into my endo in a way that I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone before. He tried to defend himself by saying that 19 out of 20 pregnant women aren't compliant patients and when they do finally wander in for blood work, their numbers are all over the place. He said they go on to have uneventful pregnancies with healthy babies. Man, did I let him have it after that comment. Especially after I told him that I was the 20th woman, who needs lots of attention NOT pregnant.

So, the point is, it's likely you'll do just fine. Hopefully you're one of the 19. But don't let anyone treat you like you're just some kind of paranoid new mom. If they get dismissive, let them know you are in charge and not going to put up with that. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Superboo, yes, she had TPO in the 500 range but always a "normal" TSH. MD put her on that low dose of Synthroid when she wanted to become pregnant.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

MKG,
You sound great !!

actually the thyroid is only one of the concerns.. not the biggest one.
The biggest one is the undiagnosed (self diagnosed) celiac with the antigliadin antibodies.
I am so scared.. I make a decision 100 times a day and change it (terminate or not terminate pregnancy) because of all I've read about celiac and antibodies. I have no idea what antigliadin antibodies are doing to the kiddo. My whole family (inalws who are staying with us for another 2 months .. 2 down 2 more to go) want to terminate for fear of an unhealthy child.
They don't know anyone with hypoT + diabetes (gestational.. of course Type2 later in life is inevitable) and wheat allergy
On hand I hope nature will take care of the child if it is unhealthy and on the other I feel perpetually doomed and am so scared.
(I didn't expect to get prengnay so quick, I don't fear miscarriage since I think that is nature's game but I do fear guilt for dooming a child)

BTW I see the best high risk Ob/GYN I know on Aug 18th. thet think it pointless to see before 8 weeks.
I see the endo on Aug 11 for any adjustments on t4
The plan to get amniocentesis done as soon as I can

Last edited by dream77; 07-22-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Superboo,
I didn't see your message earlier.
I feel fine actually except the sam eold neruopathic issues off and on but much milder after going gluten free..
I really just wish it was depression or something.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

MKG,
I know you mentioned you have insulin resistance.
What are your fasting levels the doctor wants for you.
Mine have always been between 90-95 baby or no baby and I keep a good limit on the post prandial.
In the 3rd trimester for my first one they put me on glyburide to get the fasting levels to under 90. I am hoping I can avoid the glyburide to later.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

I had a sudden huge gush of blood this evening andI think I may be miscarrying.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
(female)

superboo HB User

I'm sorry you're getting a scare right now . It is really common to get bleeding early in pregnancy and if you are not cramping it's probably nothing. If you are concerned, go see your doctor to get an ultrasound. It will give you piece of mind.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Let us know what has happened with the baby. I am sure you have been in to see the OB/ER by now.

As to blood sugar levels.

Fasting should be below 90. Make sure you take your blood levels in the morning before taking your thyroid meds. Thyroid meds have sugar as filler agents this can raise your blood glucose levels 5-10 points.

Mine runs upper 70-88 before taking thyroid meds. If I take thyroid meds before my fasting morning blood work draw my blood sugar is in the low 90s.

You want to make sure that your blood work is below 90 fasting and 2 hours after eating is between 90-120. If it is higher or lower you are having issues that will need dietary adjustment and/or medication adjustment.

I hope that all is well and the bleeding was just a side effect of the embedding process.

MG

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Unfortunatley mydoctor does not want to see me till8weeks..
he says it isno use...
we'llsee..
The heavy bleeding like a heavy period has not started yet but the gush of blood does not feel normal to me so I am prepared for whatever is coming..
wrt sugar levels.. mine are alwaysearly 90 baby or no baby fasting.. :-(
I hope we can postpone medication for later if there is a baby..

Closed Thread