It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
(female)

nabsgem HB User
What is the worse level of tsh?

My level of tsh is 15 ......gp has prescribed me thyroxine tablet i am worried whether to take it i am still waiting for my t3 and t4 result .......what should i do i do have some symtoms like foggy ming ,inteolerance cold,fatigue,

Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: What is the worse level of tsh?

A friend of mine had a TSH of 144 - I've read about a woman who had a TSH of about 200. Obviously they were very HypoT but with right medication can live a normal life.

You definately need to take your meds. A TSH of 15 is a definate sign of hypothyroidism - if you were healthy your TSH would probably be around 1 or under 2 at least.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
(female)

nabsgem HB User

i am just worried i might be dependent on it for life ...........maybe i will get endocrine refferal who can help me GP i dont totally trust maybe there is some other way

Old 07-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Sadly, hypothryoidism can be for life. It depends on what your circumstances are. Did you recently have a baby? Postpartum thyroiditis can be a short-term thing.
Has your doc tested you for thyroid antibodies? If not, get those tested, both TPO-Ab and TG-AB. If you have Hashimoto's you will need thyroid meds for life. There are other reasons for hypothyroidism (or you can be like me with no discernable reason) but they usually do not go away and need life-long treatment.
If you do not treat your underactive thyroid you are at risk for many very serious health problems, including heart disease. Like diabetes, hypothyroidism is a very important disease to treat appropriately. I've chosen to use natural thyroid hormones as my treatment. I feel they are better tolerated by the body for the long-term.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

nabsgem HB User

well i am still new to this disease <removed> .......well no baby ...my vitamin d was also low ....no significant history ....my first cousin do have hypothyroidim ....so its good idea to start thyroxine ???

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-28-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: removed profession

Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I would start on thyroid meds, sooner rather than later. I chose to go with natural thyroid hormones as I feel they are a healthier alternative to synthetic T4-only meds. I suggest you read up on both and learn as much as you can about your treatment options. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

At the time of my Dx, my TSH was 40 and my Hashi antibodies were and are in the 4000's. That's a really, really active case of hypothyroidism. I do feel SOOOOOO much better now that I'm on the meds. Try them. You'll feel better, I promise.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
(female)

Oppida HB User

When I was diagnosed 3 months ago I had a TSH of 133. After a month of meds it went down to 42 then now is in normal range. I have Hashimoto's and I think I was in the middle of an attack and that is why it was so high.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
(female)

nabsgem HB User

THANKS EVERYONE WHO ANSWERED ...............

Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
(male)

oldie HB User

when you get your t3 and t4 results please let's know what they are and what your doctor said about them. If you also tested for Free T3 and Free T4 please give details too.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
(female)

nabsgem HB User

JUST FOUND OUT ITS CALLED AUTOIIMUNE THYROIDITIS
MY IODINE WAS NORMAL FT4 WAS NORMAL RANGE
ANTITHYROGLOBULIN >500
ANTI-THYROIDAL PEROXIDASE ABS >1300

SO I GUESS I HAVE TO TAKE THYROXINE FOR LIFE TOO

Closed Thread