It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
(male)

PGphmtt75 HB User
Stop the Thyroid Madness Book

hello, I wanted to get everyone's opinion of this book. I've seen it mentioned here a couple times and looked it up on the internet and it got a lot of good reviews, but I also looked at the negative reviews and they all said the same thing: stay away from this author...she doesn't know what she's talking about...she's doing more harm than good...be very wary of this book...etc. What does everyone think?
thanks!

Last edited by PGphmtt75; 07-24-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Stop the Thyroid Madness Book

Here's how I look at things, I read a lot of different perspectives, and then I figure out the middle ground---you will see in reviews, especially on the internet, whether it's a hotel review, a product review, a book review, there are extremes---what some people think is great, other people think is bunk.

If you are trying to learn more about thyroid, I would read a few different books, with a few different perspectives, "thyroid for dummies" is always a great basic general info place to start---I don't believe in "gurus" or those who say everything is bad, or everything is good, I educate myself, and form my opinion on what makes sense for/to me based upon the opinion of many, not just one individual. Also, I get my books from the library, so I don't have to spend money on learning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I chose to follow Stop the Thyroid Madness as my guide for treatment of my hypothyroidism. It makes sense to me that I replace my missing thyroid hormones with a product that most closely mimics what my own thyroid puts out. Synthetic hormones are not the same as what we find in desiccated thyroid. Synthroid and Levothyroxine are T4-only medications while natural thyroid has T4, T3, T2 and T1 as well as an important hormone, Calcitonin. To expect us to maintain our metabolic health by replacing all of what our thyroid produces with a single “storage hormone” is, I think, poor reasoning. I also understand from a physiological point of view that my adrenals are tied in to my endocrine system and that their health is an important and integral part of my overall endocrine health, something that is completely dismissed by most endocrinologists.

<edited off political comments>

The medical specialty of endocrinology has fallen down on the job for many of us and we’ve been forced to look elsewhere, despite the dire warnings (that haven’t come true) that we were going the wrong route and the refusal of many doctors to treat us any way but their way.

<I think everyone should> make their own health choice, a choice that is so often not given to us by our own doctors. Take it or leave it and I certainly respect anyone’s decision, but it’s nice to have a choice, isn’t it?

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: removed off-topic political comments/speculation.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

Graves54 HB User

The lady that wrote this book is very intelligent. She believes in the natural dessicated thyroid medicine.

Also,the treatment of adrenals,ferritin,B-12,sex hormones are all very important involving thyroid treatment.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I have never read this book, but know bits and pieces of what is in it through other board members.

I went 9 years without thyroid treatment due to doctors only beleiving in following TSH, despite my thyroid antibodies being sky high. Finally i found a doctor who has helped me and is not just treating my thyroid, but my other hormones, adrenals, liver function, metabolic rate, digestive issues and malabsorption of nutrients, ferritin, Vit D, discovered i was low in iodine, helps me with my diet and supplements and even is willing to work in with my naturopath.

I think there are a lot of similarities between his work and the author of that particular book, but he hasn't read her book. He simply follows the teachings of his University teacher and even though he left Uni years ago, he still keeps in touch with his teacher and other professors who are doing indepth studies into the thyroid and all the other areas of the body a badly functioning thyroid affects.

What you have to be careful of is the fact that there are actual doctors out there who do not believe in treating anything but the thyroid and believe in refusing treatment unless the TSH is too low/high. So when an author comes out with this type of book and patients start requesting certain tests or begin questioning things, these doctors become upset as their small perfect world is fast becoming uncomfortable. The internet is a free for all, so just as there can be bogus people on here, you can also get people who have their own interests and are willing to slur someone who is in their way.

The internet too has brought people from all around the world a lot closer and they are much more informed. I for one would never have gotten help if i had not educated myself on these boards. I'd likely still be having all my symptoms and suffering for who knows how many more years, being told repeatedly that my thyroid was fine. Now, with the help of a great doctor who doesn't operate in a fish bowl, i'm happy and i can say reasonably healthy and can do things i wasn't able to do before. I feel he has given my life back and my symptoms have disappeared one by one.

So i for one would say this particular author is doing good things as she is making people see a different angle, helping people see there is more to thyroid illnesses than just the thyroid itself. Ultimately it's up to you what you choose to do.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I have hypoT and have used these forums, I am now fairly well as a result. I agree with the post about the big pharmaceutrical companies having the monopoly on the synthetic thyroid medication, they also make the statins, heart and diabetes drugs. (With natural thyroid extracts you dont need these) therefore it is not in their interests for us to be well. It really is all about profit before people, hence the propaganda against natural extracts.
If I had not been prescribed Armour I doubt I would be here today, I would of most certanly committed suicide. My symptoms were mainly psychological rather than physical and T4 only meds really did nothing for me except give me a nice low TSH. My GP was happy my body mind and soul was not!!

removed

Read the book first then make a decision from that, remembering that 'one size' does not fit all and some things will apply to you and some may not.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I agree with the others. My thyroid problems were discovered in Feb. and I immediately began researching information and came across this book right away and I ordered it and I highly recommend it. I agree with mcaimless 100%. Regardless of the product, there are always going to be people who will critisize a product and I would put money on pharamceutical companies intentionally having people write bad reviews against a natural product that works.

It is interesting to read the history about the synthetic and natural hormones. The dessicated was proven to be more helpful a long time ago, but the pharmaceutical companies made a comeback with their verision in pill form and have been pushing it hard since. Your body cannot go on storage hormones alone. The syntheic verision is not fully supplementing the body whereas the natural dessicated provides T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 and calcitonin.

I highly recommend the book, it makes complete sense.

Closed Thread