It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

Traceybrooks HB User
a quick question...

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease while my Thyroid was Hyper, then I was treated with radioactive Iodine (over 20 years ago). My Dr. yesterday told me that I should no longer be experiencing any Hashimoto symptoms, as my thyroid is dead. - but I have continued to have symptoms, and they've gotten worse over the years. How can this be true, everything about me contradicts this statement?!
Has anyone else been diagnosed with, or continued to have Hashimoto symptoms after radioactive iodine treatment?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

Graves54 HB User
Re: a quick question...

If you were treated with RAI 20 years ago,I just don't know how you would have much thyroid left.

You might want to get a adrenal saliva test,to make sure your adrenals are working properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I second the adrenals test and wonder what you mean by "Hashimoto's symptoms"? Could you describe them for us and how are your free T3 and Free T4 levels? What is your current treatment?
Thanks.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

Traceybrooks HB User

See thats where my confusion is, I was told I had Hashimoto's disease before and after the RAI. My symptoms are...

Goiter (before RAI)
Lump at front of neck
Low thyroid hormone level
Mental slowness
Physical slowness
Cold sensitivity
Dry skin
Fatigue
Depression
Muscle weakness
Brittle hair
Constipation (Occasionally)
Muscle cramps
Increased menstrual flow
Thyroid enlargement (before RAI)
Hypothyroidism
Musculoskeletal symptoms
Rheumatoid arthritis (possibly)
Muscle weakness
Hoarse voice
Facial swelling
Weight gain
Muscle tenderness
Muscle stiffness
Joint pain
Joint stiffness
Excessive menstrual bleeding
hyperthyroidism in the early phase of the disease, and then hypothyroidism:
Mania
Panic attacks
Migraines
Cramps
Memory loss

Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would guess that you are hypo now since you've got no thyroid left. I don't have Hashi's but I have most of those symptoms too. A lot of your symptoms are indicitive of adrenal fatigue too.

Are you undergoing any treatment and do you have any labs to share?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

Traceybrooks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaimless View Post
I would guess that you are hypo now since you've got no thyroid left. I don't have Hashi's but I have most of those symptoms too. A lot of your symptoms are indicitive of adrenal fatigue too.

Are you undergoing any treatment and do you have any labs to share?
I have never been told any lab results, they've never been offered to me! They just give me a prescription, and thats that! I've repeatedly told the Dr. my symptoms, and he's all but said that he doesnt "believe" in fibromyalgia - and sent me to the neurologist, for my migraines. The neurologist sent me for a muscle and nerve test, and ruled out MS - then gave me a prescription for my migraines, which just intensifies my fatigue. I have a Rheumy appt. on Friday, so we'll see what he has to say. At one point they thought I might have Lupus, but apparently my blood shows otherwise - so I'm going to insist on being referred to an Endocrinologist! No Dr. has ever suggested my seeing an Endocrinologist, even though I've had thyroid problems since I was 10!
I would be so happy to get all of this figured out!
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes you sound just like me, going from GP to internist to gyn to neurologist to rheumatologist to gastroenterologist.. did I leave any out?

Your rheumy will likely not be much help. Unless you have positive labs like an ANA or RF or something, which you've already probably been tested for, Rheumatologists won't offer much, except he may try to push medications on you for fibro.

You need to find a good GP or family doc or PA and ask for these specific tests:
TSH
Free T3
Free T4
Vitamin D
Vitamin B12
Ferritin

Then you need to post here and let us look at your results (include the ranges too). I'm willing to lay money on you being undertreated for rampant hypo. I would also recommend you order yourself a saliva test for cortisol from the canary club and see if your adrenals are fatigued.

Spend some time here too and read some posts. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Good luck!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread