It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

letpetit HB User
hypothyroidism....do you think i have it?

I got a test done 6 months ago and also one before that and my TSH was 7.84 and now 6 months later it is 5.54. My T4 is 1.0 and my thyroid peroxidase antibodies is <10. So it appears it's much better than last time. if this was really hypothyroidism wouldn't i just get worse instead of getting a better level? my doctor said it could have been a viral infection but it's just odd that it suddenly got better.

AND i've never been on any thyroid medication because my doctor is old school and wants me to wait until the TSH would reach 10. I'm kind of glad she did because it appears that i'm getting better but she's still going to have me tested and keep a watch on it.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: hypothyroidism....do you think i have it?

Yes, you have it. If you have symptoms, you should treat now and not wait till TSH reaches 10. That's an archaic criterion for treating hypothyroidism. It's now understood that TSH above 2 is probably a hypothyroid level if symptoms are present.

Hypothyroidism is sometimes temporary but it most often is not. If you have few to no symptoms, you can choose to wait it out and see if TSH falls below 2, where it can be considered truly "normal". If you feel bad, though, you have nothing to lose by finding a more enlightened MD who will treat you now.

Edit to add: Your TSH having fallen by about 2.5 points is meaningless. It can fluctuate that much within a 24 hour period. It doesn't necessarily mean it's getting better.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-24-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Most importantly, how do you feel? Do you have fatigue, weight changes, hair loss, depression and any of the other hypo symptoms. Do you feel better now that your TSH has dropped?

TSH is a lousy way to figure out if someone is hypothyroid. And I'd run fast from any doc who insists on it going up to 10 to treat. Even the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists says the upper range for TSH should be 3 and most people feel best if it's well below 2.

You may have to find another doctor but try to get this one to order a free T3, and Free T4 and then post your results here with the ranges. If you are not at the top of range then you are very likely hypo.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

letpetit HB User

thanks for your feedback- well i don't have any symptoms because i'm usually warm (not cold) and i take my temp regularly and it's usually 98 or over. i dont' have dry skin (more than normal) or hair thinning. also the other thyroid tests came out good it's just the TSH so i'm not convinced that i have it. i really don't like taking medication unless i'm sure i need it- but i know some people think i should be on medication now even if i don't have symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Yes, you have it. If you have symptoms, you should treat now and not wait till TSH reaches 10. That's an archaic criterion for treating hypothyroidism. It's now understood that TSH above 2 is probably a hypothyroid level if symptoms are present.

Hypothyroidism is sometimes temporary but it most often is not. If you have few to no symptoms, you can choose to wait it out and see if TSH falls below 2, where it can be considered truly "normal". If you feel bad, though, you have nothing to lose by finding a more enlightened MD who will treat you now.

Edit to add: Your TSH having fallen by about 2.5 points is meaningless. It can fluctuate that much within a 24 hour period. It does NOT necessarily mean it's getting better.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

There are some studies and papers out about subclinical hypothyroidism where you have no symptoms but you have a higher than normal TSH. I would research that if I were you as I believe the most recent studies show some very negative health risks to having high TSH. If I remember correctly there is a strong correlation between high TSH and cardiac disease. I'd look into it and bring the studies to your doctor.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
(female)

letpetit HB User

well my free T4 is in range (1.0) and she did a test for the tyroid peroxidase antibodies which were normal and ferritin which was in range (41). not sure what that means but everything else with the thyroid was normal. i don't feel any different with it being higher or lower. i get about 6 hours sleep a night because i figure skate 5 days a week in the morning and i have normal energy. don't really understand if i have a problem or had a viral infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaimless View Post
Most importantly, how do you feel? Do you have fatigue, weight changes, hair loss, depression and any of the other hypo symptoms. Do you feel better now that your TSH has dropped?

TSH is a lousy way to figure out if someone is hypothyroid. And I'd run fast from any doc who insists on it going up to 10 to treat. Even the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists says the upper range for TSH should be 3 and most people feel best if it's well below 2.

You may have to find another doctor but try to get this one to order a free T3, and Free T4 and then post your results here with the ranges. If you are not at the top of range then you are very likely hypo.

Closed Thread