It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
(female)

Confetti172 HB User
New and have questions

I had a regular check-up with the doc, I go because of high cholesterol (298 before Crestor) and low vitamin D. I mentioned that I had developed a strange rash starting on my temples, down under my ears, and onto my chest. I also told him I was sleeping a lot. And I about died when I saw what I weighed. I last saw him in March and have gained 20 lbs since then. I didn't tell him because he didn't ask, but I have occasional constipation and he knows (or should know, we talked about it) about irregular menstrual issues, but since getting on vitamin D, those have pretty much let up.
He said he suspected thyroid issues and had me get bloodwork the next day. He was supposed to call me with results, but I missed his call and the nurse called later and said the doc said my "thyroid was a little low" and what pharmacy do I use so he could call in a prescription?

He prescribed 25mcg of Synthroid which my pharmacy gave to me as Levothyroxine generic. I went and got it, but gosh, I would have liked to ask a couple of questions first before starting a medication that came with a note that said it would be necessary for the rest of my life. I wanted to ask if there was anything else to try first and what the numbers were, like how far off normal were they?

What am I in for here - as far as the meds and the disorder in general?

Last edited by Confetti172; 07-25-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: New and have questions

Well if you were me, you'd be in for a whole lot of reading and research into this disease. Your symptoms sound like hypo and the fact that you're D deficient is a sign of it too. If you want to get your labs you can post them here and we can comment on them or suggest other helpful testing.

I suggest you read a lot of posts on this forum * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *
You can either go with synthetic (like he has prescribed) or natural thyroid hormones. They both have their followers and detractors but you need to know your treatment options in order to make an informed decision. Like you have found, this is a "for life" thing that there presently is no cure for. It does require that we are on top of it and I personally think that those who actively participate in their own monitoring and treatment do the best.

So welcome to the club . You are not alone, as you will soon see if you hang around here!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread