It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

daylilly08 HB User
Trying to figure this out!

I am here as I am trying to figure out what is going on with me. I have been experiencing upper back and neck tension constantly for the past 8 months. In reading some of the other posts on this board I see that some of you also experience this. I had blood work done in November. My TSH, 3rd generation
w/reflex to FT4 was 1.47, reference range 0.40-4.50. I am also experiencing some of the other symptoms mentioned on this board. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Trying to figure this out!

Your doc will tell you this is a normal result. I would suggest you ask for a free T3 and free T4 to verify the results. TSH is not a reliable indicator of thyroid function. The free T tests tell actual amounts of hormones in the blood and both need to be at or near top of their ranges to rule out hypothyroidism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

daylilly08 HB User

Thank you mcaimless for your reply. I know you have spent much time educating yourself on the thyroid and for this I certainly respect and will follow your suggestion.
Daylilly08

Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I like to say that once you know your disease you can own it instead of it owning you. I hope in your case that your tests come back perfectly fine... although this is a double edged sword because that leaves you still trying to figure out what is really going on

I went far too long undiagnosed with hypothyroidism due to clueless doctors who constantly proclaimed me "normal". There is nothing worse in my book than being sick to the point of disablilty with no diagnosis. My revenge is to try to help whatever few I can to not go through this same misery.

Last edited by javelina; 07-25-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
(female)

superboo HB User

I had been experiencing fatigue and bowel troubles for awhile (I had just attributed it to the stress of having a 2 year old), but it was a tension/pressure in the front of my neck that eventually lead me to see the doctor. I did have upper back tension too and I thought it was postural, but after awhile the pressure in the front of the neck started to be accompanied by dizziness and feelings of anxiety. It turned out I had an enlarged thyroid and Hashimoto's. My GP couldn't feel anything abnormal, but she had the sense to send me for an ultrasound (she's great). I hope it's just back tension for you, but it's definitely worth seeing the doctor and having him/her check your thyroid.

Closed Thread