It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User
Question Anyone else get depressed when Thyroid is off?

I've had Hypothyroidism for about 5 years now. It took awhile for the dr to get my meds adjusted to where I felt good and was on 100 mcg for about 3 years then a year ago I lost 33 lbs and I started losing hair, feeling horrible and knew my levels were off again so I went to the Dr and he tried to tell me that I was ok. My TSH was 3.9 They were going by the Old levels of 0.5-5.0 So I talked him into raising my dosage of levoxyl to 112 mcg. It didn't take that long to start feeling better. My hair quit falling out and started growing back in, I had more energy etc.. Now i'm back to feeling like crap! I gained all my weight back. (I can't blame that entirely on thyroid!) I have No energy, I can't sleep at night, and I'm depressed. I hate being depressed. Anyone else get like this when their levels are off? Thanks

Old 07-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: Anyone else get depressed when Thyroid is off?

depression is almost certainly a symptom of your thyroid being off hun.
Just wondering if you are taking birth control/HRT as well, because they need to be taken at least 8 hrs after your thyroid meds. Also things like antacids or iron preps too close to taking your thyroid meds can stop them from being absorbed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User

Thanks Daisy! No i'm not on any Birth control pills or HRT. I can't use the pill cause i've had blood clots in my legs in the past. I'm not menopausal or Pre-menoposal. That I know of anyway. I started taking my Thyroid meds at night right before I go to bed per my Drs suggestion cause I take a med for reflux in the A.M. I'm going to try to get into see my Dr and have him check my levels as soon as possible. I hate feeling like this

Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Depression was one of my major symptoms so I do understand how you feel. I was far worse on synthetic T4 though and only began to feel better when I went onto Armour.
Ideally your thyroid meds need to be taken on an empty stomach for maximum absorbtion. also apparently it does not matter when you take them as long as you are consistent with timings. One thing I will say though hun dont suffer the depression alone keep posting on here and we will support you through this.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Be sure to have your free T3 and free T4 checked instead of just the TSH. Doctors have been trained to use the TSH only to monitor thyroid treatment and you will read many, many posts here about just how poor a treatment that is. Most feel best when their TSH is suppressed well below 1 and their free T3 is at the very top of range with T4 in the top third of range.

You also might consider checking your adrenal function with a saliva test. Many will find that synthetic thyroid hormones stress their adrenals and they become fatigued. If you don't have adequate cortisol you can't get the active thyroid hormone T3 into your cells.

As Daisy says above if you consider switching to natural thyroid hormones that contain both T3 and T4 you might find an improvement too. They should be titrated up to a level where you have a relief of symptoms. If you can't achieve that level then it's pretty certain your adrenals are not working well and they will need supplimentation first.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User

Thanks soooo much ya'll. It was all I could do to get through this day! My boss is my cousin and i'm having a horrible time w/ her. I talked to her about my depression and you'd have thought i'd grown an extra head the way she looked at me. No sympathy or concern. Just what I could do for her! Omg i was floored! I am so close to quitting! I used to really like my job but i'm not sure it's Ok for my mental health anymore. You'd think a family member would at least be concerned about me! I'm calling my Dr tomorrow to see when I can get it. I wonder if it would be worth the extra money to go to a endo dr?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Most of us haven't had much luck with endos. The ones that treat hypothyroidism correctly are very rare I'm afraid. Try to find any doc who will treat you by symptoms and draw and interpret correctly the right labs. It can take a while but keep looking.

Closed Thread