It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
(male)

Mazate HB User
Possible Thyroid Issue?

Hello all... I posted on here several years ago and now I'm having issues again. Let me explain my situation.

About three weeks ago I started getting some discomfort (I won't use the word pain) under my left collarbone right where it meets up in front of my neck. After several days, my whole left shoulder was sore and the source of that was that same spot under the end of my collarbone in front of my throat. I've also felt some tightness in that area but nothing severe. The pain in my shoulder subsided after a few days but I'm still having sore throats after all this time. The inflammation in my throat is worse during the day and seems to subside at night, but the throat pain gets a little worse at night, if that makes sense. I saw an ENT and he said there was no sign of any type of infection in my throat. Now starting last night during the night I felt real sick with nausea, etc. It seems to have passed this morning. And lastly, I'm always fatigued. I feel very tired and have no energy.

Anyway, I was just wanting to see if anyone on here thought that my thyroid is a possibility. I've had shortness of breath as well but haven't had much of that in a few weeks. And yes I do plan to see my doctor this week.

Thanks

Last edited by Mazate; 07-26-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Forgot some info.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Possible Thyroid Issue?

This could be thyroid but any pain around the collarbone brings up other red flags. Do you have any swellings there or swollen lymph nodes in that area?

It's good you're seeing your doc to discuss this with and maybe you should request some good imaging of the area (MRI or CT). You should also get a free T3 and free T4 drawn to check out your thyroid function.

Good luck with this and keep us posted. Feel free to post your thyroid lab results with the ranges.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

Mazate HB User

The ENT checked me out and found nothing out of the ordinary. He felt all around my neck. The discomfort I'm having is right where the two collarbones come together and slightly off to one side... not in the middle of my collarbone where the lymph node is. Where exactly is the thyroid in relation to where the collarbones come together?

Last edited by Mazate; 07-26-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

The thyroid is up around your adam's apple. But pain can radiate. A common reason for left shoulder and neck pain radiating from the chest is cardiac issues so you need to get this looked at too.

Get the proper thyroid tests done and you will have a better idea if this is a thyroid issue or not. Just be sure to get the Free T3 and Free T4 . Your doc will likely insist on a TSH as well. Post all your results here so we can look at them. I would also make sure you get a CBC, SED Rate, and all the other regular bloodwork as well as an EKG.

Last edited by javelina; 07-26-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Corrected information

Closed Thread