It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
Need help with ultrasound and ct scan results

A month ago, I went to an ENT to look at some swollen lymphnodes on the right side of my neck. He ordered a thyroid u/s and ct scan-after reviewing the report, he said everything looked fine and the lymph nodes are "reactive nodes."

Last week, I saw my doc for a checkup and she noticed a swollen thyroid (the ent did too), she did bloodwork and it came back abnormal. (The number I was given was 9) She wants to see the reports from the scans I had done and will go from there. I got the reports in the mail over the weekend:

Thyroid u/s
Right lobe: 4.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm
Left lobe: 3.8cmx1.1cmx1.5cm

There is a well defined hypoechoic lesion in the right part of the isthmus measuring 0.9cmx0.4cm. There is a similar lesion in the left side of the isthmus measuring 0.4cmx0.9cm.

There are 2 sharply defined hypoechoic lesions related to the lower pole of the right lobe of the thyroid. The larger measures 1.0x0.6cm in cross section and 1.3cm in length. Although these do not have echogenic centers to indicate that they are lymphnodes this is a consideration. There is a similar lesion related to the upper most part of the left lobe of the thyroid measuring 1x0.4cm. Again this could be a thyroid nodule or a lymphnode. On the transverse view of the inferior part of the left lobe there are two hypoechoic lesions which are well defined, the larger measures 0.7cm in diameter.

CONCLUSION
Several lesions are seen in relation to the thyroid. All or some of these lesions could be due to enlarged lymphnodes. CT of the neck is suggested for further evaluation.

CT scan results: (I won't type everything)

FINDINGS-the included portions of the orbits, masticator spaces, major salivary glands, and thyroid gland appear normal. Normal intravascular enhancement.
Scattered shotty cervical nodes are present. The lung apices are clear. No lytic or blastic lesions.

IMPRESSION- two or three lymphnodes adjacent to the thyroid gland as discussed, which are nonspecific. Findings are consisten with acute maxillary sinusities in the appropriate clinical setting.

Why did the thyroid u/s show "several lesions" but the ct scan said thyroid gland appears normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Need help with ultrasound and ct scan results

Seems like you have a few different things going on, sinus issues etc. A CT scan isn't the best tool for the thyroid---the ultrasound and maybe an uptake scan are better tools for that.

In the meantime, it seems like you have a multinodular goiter, which isn't a big problem, and it's probably the result of hashimotos or thyroid disease.

All nodules that are reachable and close or above 1cm, should have a needle biopsy to give a better idea of what's going on, but since most nodules are benign, (95%) you don't have to worry, but you likely do need thyroid medication, and that might calm down the thyroid swelling and lymph nodes too.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Thanks for the info. My mind was starting to wander to some not so good places (cancer).

I have an 8 month old so my doctor thinks I have post partum thyroid issues...well, disease. Once I start medication, will the lesions go away?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

I hate to be a bother but I'm having a REALLY hard time dealing with this thyroid thing especially when I keep reading the ultrasound report. When the ENT's nurse called to schedule the CT scan, I specifically asked her if the doctor saw anything on the thyroid u/s and she said no. Obviously there is plenty to be seen. I know I know nothing about how to interpret that report but I just wish I was told what was found.

I've made the mistake of looking up thyroid disease/cancer on in the internet and a lot of people first noticed swollen lymphnodes like I did before being diagnosed. The thyroid ultrasound would have given more information if anything suspicious was seen, right? And are the size of my nodules not big?? I know they say over 1cm before being biopsied but are mine not considered to be on the line?

*sigh* the ENT is suppose to call me this afternoon to talk to me about the ultrasound and ill follow up with my reg. doc on monday as far as medication. I'm sorry to sound so panicked but this is really bothering me especially since I have a baby.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

There is something called a "multinodular goiter" which is basically a lumpy bumpy thyroid, really common, usually from thyroid disease which you likely have. It's common to get thyroid disease postpartum.

You learned your first lesson, don't ever ask a "nurse" or whomever staffs the office, results, you really need to get to the doctor directly, the staff is not trained in all these different tests and will lead you astray and make you panic (I had one tell me I had skin cancer once---and I didn't!!!)

Your second lesson is that everything on the internet turns to cancer, so that you'll follow up and go to the doctor. So don't read too much, it will make you crazy.

Your nodules are the size that mean they should be biopsied, likely because that's the smallest that can be biopsied. Size does not mean cancer or not, there are people that have come thru. here with 3, 4 and 5cm nodules, which are tremendous (the size of a lobe) and they've been benign.

Speak to your doctor, try to keep this out of your mind, and go play with your baby, and enjoy!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Thanks Reece. I was actually cringing when I opened the post bc I just knew someone would tell me to shut up and calm down. Ha.

Why didn't the doctor want to biopsy the nodules then? I will get more info from him today since my thyroid wasn't mentioned at all when he told me everything looked "fine."

My reg doctor pretty much told me its probably post partum thyroid disease. When she felt my thyroid, do you think she could feel the nodules? I don't know if that's possible or not. She just said it felt very swollen. I will see her on Monday to find out where she wants to go from here. The waiting game is killing me!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Reece- are you a doctor???

As I finished typing that last post, the ENT called and pretty much said what you did. I have a "lumpy bumpy thyroid" and that the ultrasound report did not indicate that the nodules were malignant- there are multiple nodules, they aren't solid, didn't show calcium? so he sees no reason for concern other than to monitor it every 6 months to a year incase there is a change in the nodules size.

So, we'll see what type of medication/solution my regular doctor prescribes on monday.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nahhh, not a doctor, just someone who learned a lot (I had thyroid cancer and I researched like crazy, and btw, I'm thankfully just fine these days.)

I think your doctor gave you a solid plan, watch every six months for changes and growth, good luck!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
(female)

megz777 HB User

I just had an ultrasound on my thyroid... anyone know what this means??

Rt Thyroid Length: 5.53 cm.
Rt Thyroid Height: 1.80 cm
Rt Thyroid Width: 1.83 cm
Rt. Thyroid Volume: 8.72 ml

L Thyroid Length: 5.52 cm
L Thyroid Height: 1.88cm
L Thyroid Width: 1.87 cm
L Thyroid Volume: 9.29ml

Closed Thread