It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

Oppida HB User
How to treat/handle Hashi swings?

I have swung from hyper to hypo then to hyper then to hypo again. I've been on 150 mcg of Levoxyl.

I'm in the process of getting a new doc and getting a referral to a endo. But, I have to wait a month due to my insurance changes.

I have two doses of Levoxyl- 150 and 125. I'm wondering if I should take the 150 right now while I am hypo and drop it to the 125 when I do hyper.

I really don't know how to handle these swings. I have extreme symptoms when I go hypo and hyper- hypo I get very depressed, fatigue, etc. and hyper I have panic attacks, hair loss, can't breathe...since I don't have a doc to help for at least a month, what can i do?

I also want to know what everyone else does to manage their Hashis so I know what to expect in terms of treatment (I was horribly undertreated by my past doc- basically given Levoxyl and ignored despite calling about all these swings.)

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: How to treat/handle Hashi swings?

I am not sure what to tell you other than my story. My thyroid problems began overnight back in February. I have antibodies for both Graves and Hashimotos and I believe I swing back and forth. I almost always experience hyper symptoms while my labs are showing hypo. So far, my endo has only monitored my TSH after doing a complete thyroid panel. Now that my TSH is 6.4, I have an appointment in a few weeks to see her and I assume to discuss treatment of some sort.

I am unsure of what happens next because I know when you swing between hyper and hypo, it is more difficult to treat. I have read that supplementing is beneficial because it can help lower antibodies. I am also not sure what happens next, but I know that if I go for treatment for hypo, I am only going to accept natural dessicated hormones such as Armour or Naturethroid, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
I am not sure what to tell you other than my story. My thyroid problems began overnight back in February. I have antibodies for both Graves and Hashimotos and I believe I swing back and forth. I almost always experience hyper symptoms while my labs are showing hypo. So far, my endo has only monitored my TSH after doing a complete thyroid panel. Now that my TSH is 6.4, I have an appointment in a few weeks to see her and I assume to discuss treatment of some sort.

I am unsure of what happens next because I know when you swing between hyper and hypo, it is more difficult to treat. I have read that supplementing is beneficial because it can help lower antibodies. I am also not sure what happens next, but I know that if I go for treatment for hypo, I am only going to accept natural dessicated hormones such as Armour or Naturethroid, etc.
Thank you! My TSH levels are pretty worthless...it was 133 when I was diagnosed and now is "normal" and I still feel like hell.

I would like to go on Armour- it seems like I could dose myself better and the synthetics are not working for me obviously. I've been in them for 5 months and feel as crappy as ever.

I think I need to see if both anitbodies were tested, not sure if my doc did that.

Thanks for your post!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * It sounds like you've been undertreated and with the T4 meds some can feel sicker. You should also read there about how to check your adrenals for fatigue, given how long you've been sick. Also see about checking your vitamin levels, B12 and D and ferritin. Good luck!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
(female)

Oppida HB User

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Once I have a doc, I plan to get my adrenals checked, check for gluten intolerance, get my free t4 and t3 tested, make sure I get both anti-body tests (I think I only had one) and I'm going on Armour. I'll check into the vitamins as well! I'm taking extra Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 along with selenium in my supplements from my accupuncturist/naturopath.

Thank you!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
(female)

superboo HB User

I don't know the answer to your question, but I get the swings too. I have high antibodies, but TSH and T4 are in normal range, so my doctor won't treat me yet (I'm working on it!). My typical pattern is that I go through about 3 days of hyper symptoms (strangling feeling in neck, anxiety feelings, complete intolerance to heat) and the rest of time I feel better, but constipated and exhausted. I'm sure for those 3 hyper days it's due to inflammation and overworking of the thyroid. My endo tried to tell me it was stress, but I know my body and it is not. Anyhow, I have started selenium supplements and have eliminated gluten from my diet. Now I'm in search of an MD or ND that will treat me. Good luck to you and let us know if you find a way to balance the swings! It's not fun at all.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboo View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but I get the swings too. I have high antibodies, but TSH and T4 are in normal range, so my doctor won't treat me yet (I'm working on it!). My typical pattern is that I go through about 3 days of hyper symptoms (strangling feeling in neck, anxiety feelings, complete intolerance to heat) and the rest of time I feel better, but constipated and exhausted. I'm sure for those 3 hyper days it's due to inflammation and overworking of the thyroid. My endo tried to tell me it was stress, but I know my body and it is not. Anyhow, I have started selenium supplements and have eliminated gluten from my diet. Now I'm in search of an MD or ND that will treat me. Good luck to you and let us know if you find a way to balance the swings! It's not fun at all.
My stupid doc said the same thing!!!She said all my hyper symptoms were "Stress". I'm sorry, when I can't breathe for 3 weeks, my hair is falling out and I'm having panic attacks (which I NEVER had before) it's NOT stress!!!! ARG.

The hyper days are apparently after the auto immune attack and your thyroid dumps a bunch of thyroid hormones into your body after being attacked. Mine lasted for weeks!

I'm hoping that I will find a doc that will let me dose myslef according to my symptoms. I'm so sick of these swings and not being able to do anything about it, just sit around and feel like crap.

I'll keep you posted on what I find for sure. Hashi's sucks. :hug:

Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
(female)

superboo HB User

So, after being treated with synthroid (a small dose of 25 micrograms) I can now really see the challenges of treating these Hashi swings. I only tried it for 4 days and today, on day 5, I'm not taking it. The first couple of days I felt great! Then I'm pretty sure I had a swing into "hyperT" and I felt aweful, like I was in fight or flight mode and my bowels were very unhappy. Today, without taking synthroid, I feel quite good (maybe there's still some left in my system, but not enough to make me feel hyper?). Anyways, I will ask my RE about the possibility of taking the synthroid, but going off of it when I swing into hyper. Not sure how it would work biologically or even if it's possible. I would almost have to know ahead of time when I'm going to swing (it usually comes on quickly). So...yes, this is most frustrating! I will let you know what my RE says. He is great and I really trust him.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboo View Post
So, after being treated with synthroid (a small dose of 25 micrograms) I can now really see the challenges of treating these Hashi swings. I only tried it for 4 days and today, on day 5, I'm not taking it. The first couple of days I felt great! Then I'm pretty sure I had a swing into "hyperT" and I felt aweful, like I was in fight or flight mode and my bowels were very unhappy. Today, without taking synthroid, I feel quite good (maybe there's still some left in my system, but not enough to make me feel hyper?). Anyways, I will ask my RE about the possibility of taking the synthroid, but going off of it when I swing into hyper. Not sure how it would work biologically or even if it's possible. I would almost have to know ahead of time when I'm going to swing (it usually comes on quickly). So...yes, this is most frustrating! I will let you know what my RE says. He is great and I really trust him.
It's tough! I've been going between 150 micrograms and 125 micrograms. When I feel hyper I take the smaller dose and when I start feeling hyp0 I take the higher dose. Needless to say, I feel like CRAP.

I'm still waiting on getting a new endo once my new insurance kicks in.

I want to go on Armour. The T4 meds are NOT helping me at all!

Let me know what you decide to do with your meds and what your doc says! I'm interested in knowing!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
(female)

superboo HB User

I am phoning my RE tomorrow to talk to him about it. I'm not quite ready to give up on Synthroid yet, since I seem to be able to convert T4 to T3, but I may ask him I can try 12.5 micrograms every second day (or self adjust like you do when I'm in hyper phase). I'm holding out hope because I felt great for the first 2 days on it. If I could feel like that all the time my life would be, well, normal .

I'll tell you what he says. Good luck to you too!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
(female)

Netteso HB User

Hi everyone, I'm only new to this, just started taking thyroid meds 2.5 weeks. I'm feeling really weird too. I've read it could be low cortisol, that the adrenals are suffering and to take something for that. Being new to it it could be the antibodies in my blood fighting harder against the new medication, new thyroid hormones racing around. It's exhausting isn't it, trying to work all this out and over here in Aus the doctors aren't up with all the information on the internet.

Warm regards Nette

Closed Thread