It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
(female)

nabsgem HB User
Is goitre like feeling in neck normal after taking thyroxine?

I AM RECENTLY DIAGONIZED HYPOTHYROIDISM WITH TSH 8-15 ANTI >600 -1230 T4 IS NORMAL IODINE IS NORMAL .........ITS AUTOIMMUNE THYRODITIS ACCORING TO LOCAL DOCTOR I STARTED TAKING THYROXINE LAST WEEK I DID NOT HAVE ANY SYMTOMS OF GOITRE BEFORE THAT BUT AFTER TAKING THYROXINE FOR 5 DAYS AND ALSO FINDING ABOUT DOCTOR TELLING I HAVE INFLAMMED THYROID........I AM STARTING TO FEEL SWOLLEN THYROID FEELS LIE BULGING OUT SLOWLY AND ALSO I CAN FEEL WHEN I AM SWALLOWING FOOD I AM SCARED IT WILL GET BIGGER AS I CONTINUE TAKING THYROXINE WHAT DO U THINK ??PLEASE HELP ME WHAT SHOULD I DO ?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Is goitre like feeling in neck normal after taking thyroxine?

Hi Nabsgem,

You probably aren't getting enough thyroid hormones instead. The problem is there is an autoimmune attack going on and the best way to stop it is to take enough thyroid hormones to actually shut down the thyroid (much like taking steriods for a long time will shut down your adrenals). Once the thyroid isn't active then the antibodies will quit their attack. But not getting enough hormones by being prescribed small amounts for too long, which many doctors tend to do, your thyroid is struggling to keep up still and the autoimmune attacks continue.

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

PS, it's best to not type all in CAPS on forum boards (or in general). CAPS are often referred to as shouting. Not everyone is aware of this though

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

superboo HB User

I have Hashimoto's and I get that exact feeling that you are talking about in my neck too. Like Mcaimless said, I think it's from the inflammation of the antibodies attacking the thyroid. I'm not on any meds yet, so I know it's not from that. I also tend to get it when I'm swinging into "hyper" I'm pretty sure. If it's worrying you go back and see the doctor to rule out any other cause. It's a scary feeling, but once you know what it is, it's easier to relax and let it pass. Hopefully your doctor can adjust your treatment to make it stop.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Removed Quote.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You are brand new to treatment, and it's too soon to say you aren't taking enough hormone yet. Thyroid hormone dosage has to be started low and increased slowly over a period of months before you will reach your optimum dose. Increases are made at 6 week intervals. Trying to go faster than that can cause an adrenal crash, and that ain't fun.

There are a two common things that often happen after you being taking thyroid hormone that MDs don't tell you, because they don't usually know unless they are hypothyroid, too. Your symptoms can worsen and/or new ones can appear. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening to you now, but it will get better with proper treatment.

When I was still untreated, I had the frequent sensation of a golf ball stuck in my throat. I also had a maddening, intense itching deep in my throat which I once tried scratching away but succeeded only in scratching my skin raw. Both sensations were definitely from thyroid inflammation due to antibody attacks, and both went away once I found my optimum dose.

Try to be a patient patient, and be prepared for weird things to happen before you find your best dose.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

nabsgem HB User

thanks again everyone .....ya i think i am being bit impatient i will let my thyroxine work through ......was just worried i might get goitre as well ....maybe its inflammation of thyroid cause my antibodies were really high cant wait one month to cehck my blood result .......but ya sometimes it is scary when i have no one to talk to

Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Hi nabsgem,
Most people believe a goitre is some sort of lump on the thyroid( I did till I came on here) It all starts with your pituritury gland ok..... when there is not enough thyroid hormone in your system your pituritury pumps out TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which tells the thyroid that more hormone is needed in the body. because the thyroid cannot make it, the gland enlarges to try to keep up with the demands of the body and the screaming pituritury gland. This is what the goitre is. I had a goitre but once my thyroid stabilised with medication it shrank down and is now barely noticeable.

Closed Thread