It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

MyFourBlessings HB User
Total Thyroidectomy ~ What dose of meds are YOU on???

I am just curious what dosage others are on after TT? I had my TT on July 10th... and officially began 100 mcg of Lev on July 19th.. I am feeling a little drained the past couple days so thinking it is time to move up to 150mcg. Just curious how much I might end up at.
Total Thyroidectomy 7/10/2009 (Benign)

Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

kwebster HB User
Re: Total Thyroidectomy ~ What dose of meds are YOU on???

I know for it it depended on my weight and keeping the TSH at 1 or under to keep the cancer suppressed. It took almost a year and a half to get it under control. I have been on 150mcg for a while. I remember altering between all different dosages before finding the right one. Even now, I just lost 80 pounds, have lyme disease again... and have gone down to 125mcg. It is very frustrating to say the least.

I would be careful before pumping up the dosage to soon. You just has surgery It can take 4-6 weeks before your body adjusts to the current dosage. Thus the need to go get blood work frequently.

Take care!
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
(female)

MyFourBlessings HB User

I am due to get bw in about 4 more weeks... Ok I will hang tight at 100 mcg.. maybe just a fluke feeling so run down the past couple days..

Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Each person is different and it does take time to find the right dose. My mother in law is around 5 foot and big, she's on around 225-250, and I'm smaller, and I'm on 150-175, it's really individual.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
(female)

MyFourBlessings HB User

Yeah I called and they said it goes by weight usually so I am thinking will end up needing 150-175 mcg.. I am not little though I am 5'5" at 175 (was 192 last month so weight is coming off)... I expect when I lose 40 more lbs I will not need as much.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Doesnt always go by weight. My mum is quite a big woman and is only on 125mcg - her sister is smaller and is on 225mcg. I'm also smaller and was on 112mcg when I was on T4 only. I'm now on Natural Thyroid and am taking 180mg (3 grains) but still not optimized.

It takes 6 weeks to get the thyroid into your system so theres no way you should be looking at increasing yet. Its normal to feel tired and drained after the Op but you still need to give the T4 time to get into your system. T4 is a slow acting drug. You may well need to increase at that point, but rushing things really wont help you.

Good luck with it all

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
(female)

MyFourBlessings HB User

Just an update here.. After writing this I was feeling pretty good so figured it was just me... My husband and I went on a little getaway and went to 6 different attractions so A LOT of walking.. We left Sunday morning and I've been in bed ever since.. i am totally just out of energy and some depression feels like it's setting in.. I just want to cry for no reason? It's been 35 days since the TT and 26 days since I've been on 100mcg of the Lev.. I finally called the endo today and told her that it's been so many days feeling so down like this.. they want me to come in Monday to get my levels checked before upping my dose... goodness I have to go through the entire weekend like this now.. I am debating just increasing it myself.. No energy people.... I feel so sad and feel so lazy.

I know you all said it takes 4-6 weeks but maybe I'm an 'early bloomer'???? Is it in my head.. maybe I do have depression issues all the sudden? UGH.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFourBlessings View Post
Just an update here.. After writing this I was feeling pretty good so figured it was just me... My husband and I went on a little getaway and went to 6 different attractions so A LOT of walking.. We left Sunday morning and I've been in bed ever since.. i am totally just out of energy and some depression feels like it's setting in.. I just want to cry for no reason? It's been 35 days since the TT and 26 days since I've been on 100mcg of the Lev.. I finally called the endo today and told her that it's been so many days feeling so down like this.. they want me to come in Monday to get my levels checked before upping my dose... goodness I have to go through the entire weekend like this now.. I am debating just increasing it myself.. No energy people.... I feel so sad and feel so lazy.

I know you all said it takes 4-6 weeks but maybe I'm an 'early bloomer'???? Is it in my head.. maybe I do have depression issues all the sudden? UGH.
Sounds to me like you need an increase ... might aswell wait until you get your bloods done on monday though so that you get the right reading. Starting a few days earlier wont make any difference to how you feel right now anyway. Good luck

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

It isn't going to do a lick of good for you to increase your dose before your blood work on Monday. You are going to feel like crap anyway. The reason is the half life of the med. It takes around a WEEK for it to start working. Then, it takes 6 weeks or so to build up.

Here is the best reason for you NOT to do it----it is going to mess with the blood results on Monday. You want your results to be as low as possible, so your Dr. will prescribe the right amount to make you feel good. Actually, I don't take my meds the morning before my blooddraw, and take 2 the next time.

By the way, I take 150 plus an extra 75 on Sat.---I am 135 lbs. My sister is close to 200 lbs and takes 125. Much of it depends on muscle mass, believe it or not. I have a lot more muscle than my sister.

My idiot Doctor started me on 100, too. I felt horrible for 2 months.

Linda

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
(female)

MyFourBlessings HB User

Well I posted a new post to update on my results but not getting any feedback so I figured it would be better to just reply to this one.. My tsh came back as 8.64 and Ft4 1.04. She said my T4 is in normal range but because of my tsh being so high I have been increased up to 125mcg now. (was 100mcg).. I am glad I wasn't just tested for FT4 or they may not be increasing me at all! I know how I feel and it's not normal to be feeling this tired.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
(female)

mustlovecats HB User

I had my TT last year in september, my surgeon put me in 125mcg levoxyl right away and didn't have bw for 3 months after surgery, my TSH was 0.024 and the stupid endo reduced my dose to 100mcg and 3 months later TSH 0.086, again reduced to 100's 6 days and 7th day 50, bw came back 3 months later TSH 0.226 but my free T3 was below range and I started having problems, tried to talk my endo into puting me back on 100 every day or 112 in order to get my free 3 up but didn't listening to me. So I changed doctors and doing much better now on natural thyroid. My old endo was a TSH watcher and didn't care about free's so I truly believed that if I continued seeing him he was going to lower my levoxyl even more without even listen to me, good thing I switch doctors, this new one does listen and watch free's and symptoms, the only problem I have now is the shortage on NT, hope it resolves sooner than later, woudln't like to switch meds again! Is good that you get bw every 4 months so you can be feeling better sooner.

Closed Thread