It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

leoball80 HB User
Can a medication cause a thyroid disorder?

These past few months something weird has been going on with me. I display some signs of a thyroid problem...even though I was checked for it years ago and it came back negative. (I'm 21 now) I haven't lost/gained any weight recently nor has my appetite changed. Thyroid disorders do run in my family though.

In May I started developing all these problems. I already suffer from clinical depression as it is, but my depression got MUCH worse starting in May. Around this same time was when my sleeping habits changed. Some nights I don't sleep at all, others I get only a few hours sleep. I feel like I never sleep, which is only making my depression worse. I also started developing skin problems which I never had before. I began getting these rashes on my face. I'm not sure if it is acne, eczema, a rash or what. On top of this I realized I grew excess body/facial hair! It is pretty noticeable and it grows incredibly fast!

At the beginning of this year I was prescribed Adderall for my ADHD. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but about 4-5 months later was when these problems started occurring. Maybe it is totally unrelated to the Adderall..which is very possible. But I know Adderall can mess with people's hormones. So I was wondering if my medication could have possibly caused me to develop a thyroid disorder?

The excess hair, the skin problems, the insomnia, increased depression, memory problems- they are all signs of a thyroid disorder. However..aside from the excess hair/skin issues...the majority of my problems are mood/mind related. Any opinions here??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Can a medication cause a thyroid disorder?

I would request the correct thyroid tests from your doc. You need to specify what ones you want as generally they run a lot of useless ones that do no good.

Ask for: TSH, Free T3, Free T4, TPO-Ab, TG-Ab, TSI. Also ask for a vitamin D, ferritin, and B12.

It sounds like your sex hormones and adrenals might be off. This could be related to hypothyroidism or adrenal fatigue. You will need to get your own saliva tests for this as most MDs don't carry them (or believe in them for that matter). But at the very least get the thyroid levels done and post your results here with the ranges.

I don't know if adderol is the cause of your issues. It might have triggered a genetic thyroid disorder, but I don't know for sure. But hang around here and read other posts and you'll find some things out about thyroid disease!

Closed Thread