It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Advocado and Armour

Just lately I have been feeling a little off since they changed the fillers in Armour. However over the last few weeks I have been eating more advocado's because they have been on special offer in my local supermarket. I have noticed that on the days I have eaten them I have felt better. ( I keep a food diary as some foods really make me feel ill) Just wondering if anyone on here can shed some light on this or maybe we could try a massive experiment and see if they really do help.
I have been told that the empty skins are great for the rubbing on very dry skin too.

Last edited by daisy01; 07-29-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Advocado and Armour

Hi Daisy...
I'm not sure how avocados might impact the thyroid and tend to think they don't really. At least, not in the short term, as you're enjoying them. Happy coincidence, probably.

Did you get your labs yet? Have you seen mine that I posted on your other Armour thread? Big difference, enough to make me try something else.

Armour is still a bear to find here... shortages and complete outages make it nearly impossible to find in enough quantity to equal a proper dose. Are you having trouble getting it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I would venture a guess it's the oil in avocado that maybe makes you feel better. I know some really like coconut oil too and I would just guess that these tropical oils help some. There is a lot of controversy about coconut oil and its impact on thyroid, some say it helps and other say it suppresses.

Are you going over to Naturethroid Midwest? I read differing opinions about how well it works and can only surmise that it's better for some than for others. I think some have absorption issues with it and need to raise the dose above what the old Armour was at to get the same effect. I was wondering what your experience was.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Hi Daisy...
I'm not sure how avocados might impact the thyroid and tend to think they don't really. At least, not in the short term, as you're enjoying them. Happy coincidence, probably.

Did you get your labs yet? Have you seen mine that I posted on your other Armour thread? Big difference, enough to make me try something else.

Armour is still a bear to find here... shortages and complete outages make it nearly impossible to find in enough quantity to equal a proper dose. Are you having trouble getting it?
I have just looked at your results Midwest1 running at 50% is accurately describing exactly how I feel.
maybe somehow the advocado is helping me absorb the armour more slowly and evenly then. I can't tolerate foods with gluten in them I am running to the loo within 30mins of eating them otherwise. Therefore the fillers could be making me excrete it through my digestive system rather than absorbing it into my bloodstream!!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I've been hearing about some going over to the Canadian Thyroid med called Erfa Thyroid. It has much fewer ingredients than either Armour or Naturethroid and can be purchased over the internet with a US Dr script (don't know about UK though...).

Last edited by moderator2; 08-23-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Avocados are a super food with lots of potassium and good fat.
Is gives me a huge feel good factor.. I often have a glass of milk with 1/2 spoon sugar and quarter f avocado blended. It is an AWESOME shake.. makes me feel very good.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I have just checked out Erfa and it has given me some real hope, from what I have read it is made just like the old Armour and will be available in the UK

Nonmedicinal ingredients: cornstarch, magnesium stearate, sugar and talc. Energy: 1.2 kJ (0.28 kcal)/30 mg tablet; 1.1 kJ (0.26 kcal)/60 mg tablet; 2.2 kJ (0.52 kcal)/125 mg tablet. Gluten-, paraben-, sulfite- and tartrazine-free. Bottles of 500. Yipeeeee!!! no gluten.

I will print off all the info and take to my docs and have a heart to heart with him. I really need to do something whilst I still have the power to think.

They will distribute it through Belgium which being part of the EEC means I can access it here with a UK prescription. Also as an added bonus if I cant find a chemist who will order it in then I am only 30 miles away from Belgium, can hop on a ferry and go get it myself. (Hmm duty free booze too on the way back, this just gets better lol)
Until today I have always been a Eurosceptic, thought the EEC were a waste of space and money lol, funny how one's opinion can change on a hint of being able to feel better or have I always been this shallow

Last edited by moderator2; 08-23-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello,

I take 4 Grains of Armour and can take them in the evening and go right to sleep.....LOL I have not felt a change at all with my pills but maybe I am getting the old stock.

Good for you for eating Avacados!! They are so very good for you. Full of good fats and healthy oils......They are wonderful for you mental health and your heart.....I am not suprised you feel better on them.

I try and eat one a day. I have food allergies and I know if I get an avacado in once a day my nutrition will be good.......

I am big on Avacados, Chia seeds, Bananas ( I put mine is a smoothie in AM) catalope and citrus fruits.... No gluten or Dairy for me anymore. I eat raw foods when I can.

I have lost a total of 40 pounds since I started the thyroid board here 3 years ago......It has been an interesting journey.

Healthy eating can make a difference in how you feel. Good luck, Oleander

Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Thanks Oleander
what are chia seeds? I have never heard of them but always keen to try new things to stay healthy. My new job is very stressful and it is so tempting to snack on foods which are bad for me just out of convienience (sp) but I know that I will pay for it by rushing to the loo shorty after & then next day my joints will be hot swollen and painful.
I love bananas but it is a food I must avoid, they make me feel dreadful.
I have never thought of putting the advocados into a smoothie, I usually eat them with a little sea salt and a sprinkle of praprika. but dream 77's idea sounds like the perfect breakfast. I will give it a go.
any other smoothie recipies would be greatly appreciated. x

Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I love avocado with left over cold chicken or cold roast pork. I also put big chunks of avocado into a salad with a mix of various lettuce leaves, red capsicum, tomato, spanish onion, olives, extra virgin olive oil and dark balsamic vinegar.

I eat them often but don't notice a big change to how i feel.

Interestingly enough i was recently told by my naturopath to ease off the bananas and to maybe have one per week. I was having one a day. She told me they are very mucous producing and this inhibits absorption of nutrients. She said dairy and gluten foods are also very mucous producing. We are supposed to have mucous lining our intestines, but when there is an excess it inhibits absorption of nutrients. This interests me as a lot of people with thyroid issues appear to have malabsorption of nutrients.

Maybe the avocado or other foods which do make us feel great are also ones which are good for our digestive system.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

This is what I start my day with ( after my coffee )

Cherries, cantalope, I eat one orange and one apple daily.

Smoothie
Almond Milk
1 banana ( I cannot eat a banana but can drink one) Some put in 2
frozen blueberries or strawberries Ice in blender if you like
1 splash of Chia seeds I will tell you below about them
1 Scoop of Raw protien powder
I like Amazing Meal Protein powder it is gluten and dairy free and has wheat grass and all that in it.
I alternate Flax oil with Hemp oil every other day 1 TBSp
A splash of Agave Nectar if I want sweeter
Blend and drink

Buy Chia seeds. In a jar or container put 1 inch of seeds in bottom. Poor clean source of water in jar almost to top. Put lid on and shake. Shake again in 15 mins. Put in fridge. Chia seeds will get gel like. Each day put in Smoothie or in other drinks or food. A huge safe, healthy source of Protien for you. Last about 3 weeks in fridge.

I drink 2 of these shakes a day. I put different things in it. I also put greens like Spinach sometimes in my drinks.. Powdered Wheat grass is good if you cannot juice your own.

I can tell you I feel 100% better......I am hoping as my absorption gets better my Thyroid meds will work better.

Hope that helps someone........Oleander

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Oleander ..
WOW.. I still couldn't figure out the source and benefit of chia seeds..
I am found a rice enzyme protein powder which has no gluten and dairy.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Thanks Oleander, i am gonna try to track down the chia seeds over here in the UK and give that a go (after my coffee that is lol)
I do the hemp oil every day anyway and once you get used to the taste its ok. I have even used it on very dry areas of skin like elbows and knees and find it very effective and absorbs easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream77 View Post
Oleander ..
WOW.. I still couldn't figure out the source and benefit of chia seeds..
I am found a rice enzyme protein powder which has no gluten and dairy.
I tried the rice powder and my kids still have'nt forgiven me, it gave me horrendous wind!! they said it was toxic warfare and sprayed me with air freshner in retaliation

Closed Thread