It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
(male)

Amico HB User
Question TSH of 63, Feel Great, What is this?

Recently had a blood test just to check things out...last one was about 3 years ago. Funny thing is, I feel fine, and have what I would describe as no symptoms whatsoever. I am 47, male, and have a slim/athletic build, low blood pressure.
I've never really had a PCP so I found one and when he saw this, he wondered how I was even standing before him with such a high TSH. He thought it had to be an error so I was re-tested and it came out as 56, but my T4 is low: .64 (normal .61-1.76).
His diagnosis is Hashimoto's but I am not exhibiting any of the common indicators - not even one. He said my thyroid is failing but he could not explain why I had no symptoms whatsoever of Hashimoto's.
My sister had Hashi symptoms about 6 years ago, and ended up getting a thyroid scan with contrast. Funny thing is, when she drank the contrast solution (mainly iodine) just prior to the scan, she instantly felt better. The "cloud" or lack of mental concentration lifted and she felt "cured." She never had problems again, even though she is tested every 6 months. However, she maintains a better diet since she is very allergic and is borderline celiac disease (allergic to wheat products). She never took a single dose of thyroid medicine.
My PCP thinks she is an anomaly and is going strictly "by the numbers" in my case. He recommends synthroid right away, even though I feel fine. He noticed my hesitation and agreed to recommend an endocrinologist. Anybody heard of this? Thx,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: TSH of 63, Feel Great, What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amico View Post
Recently had a blood test just to check things out...last one was about 3 years ago. Funny thing is, I feel fine, and have what I would describe as no symptoms whatsoever. I am 47, male, and have a slim/athletic build, low blood pressure.
I've never really had a PCP so I found one and when he saw this, he wondered how I was even standing before him with such a high TSH. He thought it had to be an error so I was re-tested and it came out as 56, but my T4 is low: .64 (normal .61-1.76).
His diagnosis is Hashimoto's but I am not exhibiting any of the common indicators - not even one. He said my thyroid is failing but he could not explain why I had no symptoms whatsoever of Hashimoto's.
My sister had Hashi symptoms about 6 years ago, and ended up getting a thyroid scan with contrast. Funny thing is, when she drank the contrast solution (mainly iodine) just prior to the scan, she instantly felt better. The "cloud" or lack of mental concentration lifted and she felt "cured." She never had problems again, even though she is tested every 6 months. However, she maintains a better diet since she is very allergic and is borderline celiac disease (allergic to wheat products). She never took a single dose of thyroid medicine.
My PCP thinks she is an anomaly and is going strictly "by the numbers" in my case. He recommends synthroid right away, even though I feel fine. He noticed my hesitation and agreed to recommend an endocrinologist. Anybody heard of this? Thx,
I had no symptoms until I felt better and realised how crappy I had actually been feeling lol yeah I know makes no sense does it?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: TSH of 63, Feel Great, What is this?

There is a condition called subclinical hypothyroidism where a person has no symptoms but higher than normal TSH. There is some controversy around whether or not to treat this but the latest studies show that people with lower TSH tend to live longer and have less heart disease. I would to a search on this and weigh the benefits of treatment carefully.

I assume your doc has done the autoimmune antibody tests on you to diagnose Hashimoto's? Also was that a Free T4 done or just T4? It could be that your actual free hormones are not that low as the Free T4 and Free T3 are the proper tests for this. That would explain the absence of symptoms.

Closed Thread