It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
(male)

sadie78 HB User
do you need meds for enlarged thyroid?

I was told by endocrinoligist that i have an enlarges thryoid. He gave me the option to have an ultrasound, which i am doing, he said that since my tsh and t4free are within normal range, low normal, that the thyoid being enlarged is due to something in my bady

Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: do you need meds for enlarged thyroid?

If your hormones are low-normal, that's the reason why your thyroid is enlarged. It gets bigger in a futile effort to produce more hormone to fulfill your body's needs.

Try to get that stupid endo to prescribe thyroid hormone for you. It could stop the gland from becoming any bigger or from forming nodules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
(male)

sadie78 HB User

Midwest1
Thanks for the reply... I have had hives for a month and Major fatigue. I have gained a ton of weight, ablut 25 lbs in the past few months, along with leg cramps and other symptoms. I have tachycardia and my blood pressure is running 135/90-95. I dont feel good. I couldnt believe he asked me if i wanted an ulrtasound??? he said if not then thats fine we will just let this ride. I think i need to find another endo. He said it may be my immune system and the hives are allergies. Never had allergies before?
Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
(male)

sadie78 HB User

Also... a dr. other than this endo ordered my labs and i didnt get a t3 done, my t4 is low-normal as well. But this endo never ordered any other labs, never said anything about an MRI and NEVER said that if the ultrasound shows no nodules that he'd put me on meds. I took it as if no nodules then i dont need him. I just want to feel to better, and get rid of the sore throat/neck.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

TPO antibodies, which are the leading cause of thyroid failure, also can cause chronic hives. You have the classic symptoms of thyroid failure, you know you have low-normal FT4. I'd say that's plenty of evidence that you are hypothyroid.

Endos are notoriously terrible at treating hypoT. They typically specialize in diabetes and haven't bothered to learn anything about thyroid since med school - and most of that information was wrong in the first place. Ditch that dumbo. Sometimes you can do better with an experienced family practice MD or DO. (DO's can be especially good, because they practice holistically.)

You must be tested for TPO and Tg antibodies. That will tell if you have autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's disease). It could also explain the hives to boot. Also, you need another TSH, free T4 and free T3. The TSH can appear totally normal in cases of Hashi's, but the free Ts will typically be very low normal. If they are, you need supplemental hormone. Period. Finding an MD who understands all this can be hard, but can reward your effort.

If you can get a hold of a copy of Thyroid for Dummies, it will help you understand what you should demand of an MD.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
(male)

sadie78 HB User

midwest1,
Thanks again...my thyroid antibodies are 10. They say thats real good, but m aybe they wont be good in the few months? my tf4 is low normal but he didnt even repeat any of it, or order a t3. My labs were done a month ago i expected him to repeat them also... nothing. Like i said he told he will order an ultrasound if i feel i want it lol what a jerk. I dont have pcp cause i have never needed one but maybe i better find one. I think this guy got his license in a cracker jack box!!!!!!
Thanks again for the advise. I will get the book. I also have been doing lots of research on here and have a good idea what i need/want done. I'm just ready to feel better.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
(male)

sadie78 HB User

I found a new Endo that a couple people told was great, cant see him till Sept 10. So i also got a family dr this am. Getting in there and seeing if he will do anything for the time being. Ultrasound is scheduled for thursday the 6th.

Closed Thread