It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

writermom333 HB User
Frustrated and confused...

I had blood work done this week because I was gaining weight rapidly, exhausted, muscle weakness and several other low thyroid symptoms.

All tests came back ok, except the thyroid, at least that is what they told me yesterday. They said my TSH was 4.08 and they wanted to do another test. They called back today and said my Free T4 is 0.87. I have no idea what that means, except the Dr. did NOT order any thyroid RX at all...he says I'm fine!???

Funny, I don't feel fine--I feel terrible!! Can someone enlighten me about this?
the nurse just said everything is normal, but they told me yesterday thyroid was NOT normal??

If they won't give me RX, can someone recommend supplements?
Thanks so much!
Debbi

Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Frustrated and confused...

Oh dear, not again. You need to find a doc who knows how to:

1. Listen to his patient's symptoms
2. Order the correct labs, in this case Free T3 (the free T4 was correct and I'm guessing you are near the bottom of range) and you should also get the antibody tests, TPO-Ab and TG-ab.
3. Read the labs he does order. Your TSH is very hypo, it should be well below 2 generally, expecially if you are symptomatic. Your free T4 should be in the top third of its range (post your ranges when you post your labs here) and the free T3 should be at the very top of range.

Unfortunately you will have to make the effort to find another doc who will treat you right. This one hasn't got a clue. I'm guessing he's going to try to push antidepressants on you next...

Spend some time on these boards and read a bunch of posts. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * Don't give up on this, you are hardly alone and there is help!

PS, suppliments are not going to help you much if you are hypothyroid. But I would also recommend you get your Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin checked as many hypo people have deficiencies in these.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread