It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

majorchamp HB User
Wife has hypothyroidism for 5 years, found a lump...need opinions

Hi everyone, first post here.

My wife has been on levothyroxin for 5 years because of her hypothyroidism.

The other day, she felt her throat and found a fairly large lump. She setup an appointment and today had an ultrasound done. The ultrasound showed it was no cystic and did have mass to it. Inside the mass appeared to be some growth of some sort.

They are going to schedule most likely Monday a biopsy to determine what those cells are.

With that said, could I get some opinions or your thoughts. From what I have gathered, it could be 1 of 2 things, and please state if there are other possibilities PLEASE!!!:

Option #1. The scariest one...cancer
Option #2. Colloid nodule

Please let me know your thoughts...my wife and I are obviously very scared at this time.

Thank you,
Bryan

Last edited by moderator2; 07-31-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
Re: Wife has hypothyroidism for 5 years, found a lump...need opinions

Hi Bryan,
I am very sorry your wife had this happen to her.
I am not a doctor,just my personal thoughts.
She could have a goiter or a solid nodule.
I have someone in my family that was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2007 she had no thyroid problems before this.She had her thyroid taken out and is taking Levoxyl now and doing wonderful.
I am hypothyroid and taking Levoxyl.I have a solid nodule that was discovered on an ultrasound.
My mother had her thyroid taken out when she was 19.
Please let us know what happens to your wife.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Wife has hypothyroidism for 5 years, found a lump...need opinions

Thyroid nodules are really common, and 85%-95% (depending upon other factors) are benign.

Needle biopsies aren't a great tool (they only get a small sample of the cells in the nodule), but they are one of the tools there are to determine whether or not removal or watching is necessary.

The worst case scenario, cancer, is unlikely, but thyroid cancer is one of the true few cancers that is actually curable, so either way, take this step by step, it's so nice that you are there as a support.

Closed Thread