It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User
Would anyone happen to know.......long post

I had read somewhere? that if there is thyroid cancer in the lymph nodes, that they do NOT give off much TG. So, it was saying that you could have positive nodes without it showing up in the TG tumor marker blood work.
Does anyone know if this is accurate info? I hope NOT, because I just had my 8 month follow up bloodwork and ultrasound for my thyroid cancer. Going on year #2. It was nice not to think about it for a few months, and then of course, a big reminder laying on that table, looking for cancer.

I first had one tech who kept going over and over the same spot on the left side of my neck, she kept measuring. Then another tech came in and asked if I had any previous ultrasounds, yes, last Aug., she called and ordered the last one so the radiologist could compare them. Then, she scanned me............same spot on left of neck. Then said the radiologist may want to scan me, too. I said you are concerning me, obviously you see something, and she said we cannot comment on that. I said is it an enlarged lymph node? Cannot comment. The radiologist said he could not read the study until he received my last year ultrasound which would be couriered {sp} over tomorrow from the other facility
for comparison, so, I said to him, obviously you see something and you are concerning me!!! He was sorta rude and said NO comment, I cannot comment until I have your previous study to compare to. Well, my husband said, what if there were no previous study, can you tell us if there is some concern in what you are looking at today. He again, said, I will not comment on that. WOW!!!

Nice appt. Always a concern. Can I just go through ONE test that is "normal" Just ONE TIME????? NORMAL????? So, of course, I am thinking the cancer is back. I called my endo office, and spoke to the nurse, whom I adore for her kindness, and told her my concerns, and she said she would personally keep her eyes open for my TG bloodwork, which I had done on Tues. She called this morning and said she was looking earlier today for my ultrasound results, which of course, are not in yet, but that my TG bloodwork is back, and that the TG marker is undetectable.....YEA!!!!! GOOD NEWS!!!!!

But, does that mean there is no thyroid cancer at all? Or could it be that there is cancer in a node?

Long story, but I have been upset. My question is.........If the TG is good, does that mean that there is not thyroid cancer in any lymph nodes? Or could it be in the lymph nodes and it would not show in the TG bloodwork?

Sorry for rambling......a lot on my mind. Although, I was so happy TG is good.
Gives me a little piece of mind!!! Waiting for the US results, wondering what all the fuss is about!!! Hopefully.....nothing. TG undetectable, is it unlikely there is cancer in any nodes? Or I am just guessing, who knows WHAT they saw??!!

Thanks, Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Would anyone happen to know.......long post

I don't know about how much tg a lymph node would give off, but keep in mind, a more accurate tg detection method is with a high tsh (ie, on thyrogen).

So if they found something in the ultrasound, you would probably want to go on thyrogen and check the tg that way, but to be honest, a non detectable tg is always great news!

The doctor you had is obviously not so nice---if he's a doctor, not a tech, he could have given you the results if he knew you were concerned, before you left and discussed it with you---your chart should have everything needed (my radiologist talks me thru. what he sees), and you can always get copies of your scans and have another radiologist take a look.

Sorry you always get this frustration, hopefully everything will be all clear.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Reece,
I have to call tomorrow to see if my doc has the results yet. Do you always see the same radiologist? Something I have learned from this experience, is to always use the same facility!! This ultrasound was at the hospital, the first was at a different med facility. If I had THIS one done at the same facility as last year, they would have been able to bring it right up on their computer. Now it has to be couriered over. Then compared.
My good friend worked for years at our local hospital, and she knows this radiologist, and she said he is a grouchy old man. Guess what? I agree!!
But, still I think it would be nice to have the same radiologist each time, here they all rotate in and out of the local hospitals and facilities, you never know who you are getting.
I just have to be patient and wait til tomorrow and HOPE they have the results and HOPE they are fine.
So, a radiologist, can discuss your results with you? I kinda thought so, because the one who checked my ultrasound last year came right in and talked with me, which surprised me, I kinda thought you always had to wait to hear from your own doc, after it was all dictated.
He certainly could have helped relieve my concerns, but did not, which is why I think something may be wrong................eek. Hope not!!!
Gotta keep the faith!!
Thanks as always. Hope you are doing well!!!!
Lori

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Good morning, Reece.
The nurse just called and told me that I do have an enlarged lymph node on the left. My doc is not so concerned about it. He said I need another ultrasound in 3 months to recheck it. I also had a few enlarged ones on the right last year, and they are gone.

She said just because a lymph node is enlarged, doesn't mean cancer. They always reck ones that don't look suspicious in 3 months. Sounds GOOD to me!! There are characteristics they look for.

She said my doc said the BEST news is that the TG is undetectable.
I do see him on Fri. and I will ask more about the size of the lymph node, etc.

So that is what all the fuss was about. She also told me this rad. has a rep. for being nasty, but he is extremely thorough. Still, I don't want him again....Thanks again "for being there for me!!" Bless you!!
Lori

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Awesome, BTW I get enlarged lymph nodes all the time, and I'm told there are certain ways visually they can identify the bad ones from the good ones.

I use a local radiology place---I don't think local places are as good as hospitals, but I really like the radiologist there, for routine things, you see the tech, but for cancer issues, he does the test personally, takes time to explain things, if there's anything worrisome, he will call my doctor and send me there right away since I was a cancer patient, the place is known to not let you go a weekend worrying.

I'm sure everything is fine with you, I hope your colposcopy went well too---have a fun rest of the summer!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Just to let you know, the colp, biopsy, and EEC showed "mild" atypia, and my gynocologist said no concern since the HPV was negative, truly could just be mild inflammation, but to be cautious....put me on a 3 month recall. Seriously, once you've had cancer, everyone seems more cautious. Good thing, really.
I guess I get to reck everything in 3 months, pap and thyroid ultrasound.....better to be safe, I guess!! I really would LOVE to just be left alone for awhile.. ha.
Maybe soon..........
You enjoy your summer, too.
Take care,
Lori

I wish we had a radiology place like that around here, that sounds great for you!! You never know who you are getting here, and to have the radiologist himself do it, and explain everything to you..........priceless.

Last edited by Lori123; 08-03-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add

Closed Thread