It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

ready2live HB User
Question Will I ever feel good???

So here is my story. I was diagnosed with hashimotos when I was 13, and took synthroid for a year. After that year I got lab tests again and for some insane reason decided to go off meds because my labs were "normal"(i hate that word!!). This life altering decision was made by myself when I was 14, and yes I do wish my parents had made the effort to research my disease, but alas wishing does not change things, and they did not know any better...

Fast forward to my present condition. I have lived a life of exhaustion, slow thought process, lack of motivation and all that fun stuff that comes along with this disease. I went to 2 GPs in the last 15yrs and of course they both thought my lab results were normal (there's that word again). I finally went to an endo and was determined to take whatever he would give me, even if it was an antidepressant, anything would be better than continuing my life the way it was.

To my surprise and thankful satisfaction he wanted to put me on synthroid, he said he would do lab work but felt that if I truly had hashimotos it would warrent treatment!!

I will get a copy of my labs and post them soon. But now to my burning question. I have been taking 50mcg of synthroid for 2 weeks now and don't think it is helping. The first couple of days were euphoric, I had tons of energy and was very happy, I don't ever remember feeling that good. But now I am tired again, some days are a little better, and some days are worse than I can ever remember. I feel like I am on a roller coaster and I WANT OFF. I just want to experiance the life that I have missed out on...

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks for listening this board is a God send.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
(female)

daisy01 HB User
Re: Will I ever feel good???

Hiya and welcome to the board, I agree this board is a godsend and I have been here for approx 4 yrs lol.
In answer to your question: yes you can feel well, some posters leave once they are well, and go on to enjoy their lives and make up for lost time, some of us stay to offer support to newcomers.
firstly 50mcg is a good dose to start on and what you are experiencing is what happens to most of us initially. When you first start on meds its normal to feel this whoosh of energy and euphoria, your body is suddenly getting the thyroid hormones it has been desperately craving>>> then it levels out for a while as your body adjusts to the dose, then drops down again at around the 6- 8 week mark. this is when you should be seeing your Dr again for blood tests to check your FT4, FT3 & TSH. then you will probably get an increase to 75mcg and the same pattern will happen all over again until you reach your optimal dosage levels. each time you go through this cycle you will notice that symptoms begin to stop one by one.
Thyroid meds are not like aspirin or antibiotics which work on your symptoms quickly, they need time to build up in your system and doing it too rapidly can make you quite ill.

If you have been ill for a long time, as you have then it would be a good idea to get your adrenals checked out too. they can become fatigued due to the pressure they have been under in keeping you going.
There are some wonderful people on here with loads of info, advice and support and they will help you as they have helped countless others

Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

ready2live HB User

Daisy, thank you so much for your reply. I have read on these boards that the meds take awhile to kick in, guess I just need to have more faith in the process. But it is also so nice to hear that there is hope. I will have my adrenals checked at my next appointment, guess I never thought about those. Thanks again.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

You are most welcome hun
The boards work because we know exactly what you are going through, we have been there, made all the mistakes but come through the other side fairly unscathed, alot wiser and armed with all the info the medical profession wont tell anyone.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

superboo HB User

For what it's worth, I too felt great for the first 2 days and now have crashed a bit. My gut is so unhappy, but it may be totally unrelated. It's good to know the pattern. I find that when I "know" things ahead of time it makes it so much easier to get by. Like when I feel the front of my neck is being strangled, I now know that it's just the thyroid becoming tonic with inflammation (my awesome RE told me this and has been the only one to confirm that it's not in my head). I used to get all panicky and dizzy (because it used to freak me out) and now I just feel that sensation without all the extras and wait for it to pass. Knowing that progressing to the right synthroid level is an up and down process will make it a lot easier to get through...thank you! Hopefully we all find our right levels soon!

Closed Thread