It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
(female)

daisy01 HB User
what was the best bit of advice you recieved on here?

although we share many common symptoms, there seem to be some which are very individual to us. I am very curious to what works and what doesnt. So I am posing 3 questions to you all:

1. What was the best bit of advice you recieved on here?
2. why?
3. How did it change things for you?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

ready2live HB User
Re: what was the best bit of advice you recieved on here?

I guess it was not really advice directed to me since I have not been on this board for long, but I have read this board for a couple of months now and this is what has helped.

1. Realizing that I was not crazy or just making up my symptoms, and not taking the first thing that came out of my doctors mouth but advocating for my own well being.

2. It made me realize that I had to stand up for myself, because no one else could.

3. I am on the slow and unsteady road to recovery, but at least I am on the road and not still in bed!!!

Good idea for a post, by the way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I learned how to interpret lab tests and which ones were necessary for proper diagnosis. It was nice to see that I'm not the only one who is having the same problems with diagnosis and treatment.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Learning what tests to ask for and learning what not to take with which meds, what interacts with what.

Knowing what tests to ask for led me to finding a good doctor and a good doctor means a healthier patient.

It changed things by finally getting treatment after 9 years instead of who knows how many years!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There are two pieces of advice that were gold to me:

1. Be persistent in finding treatment, because there are few MDs who really understand when and how to treat thyroid.

2. Always get a copy of labwork.

My own advice to anyone reading this: Learn the basics of thyroid test interpretation, so you can see for yourself if the MD is ordering the right tests or misinterpreting the results. Hypothyroidism is probably one of the most common disorders around that's rarely properly treated. We must learn to look out for ourselves to get what we need.

Closed Thread