It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
This thyroid thing makes for a lonely life

I don't look sick so friends don't know unless you tell them. They don't really know what to say and you hate complaining so you just push yourself to try and act like you're ok and having fun, but you really feel like crap. It just sucks that you can't be yourself around people because it's just too damn depressing.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

Sverige HB User
Re: This thyroid thing makes for a lonely life

Hi Tigger! I know how you feel. Sometimes I'm so wiped out between thyroid and Meniere's Disease that I just need to be still, and sleep. It's so frustrating! I try to take advantage of the good days and try to pretend I'm having a good day on the "not too awful" days. I helps to know that we're not alone by coming here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

ready2live HB User

Hey tigger. You are so right, it is a little lonely. It is hard to get people to understand that the reason you don't call to hang out is because you are scared they really will want to hang out and you will have to use the VERY little energy you have to try and have fun. Then they wonder if you are upset because you are "not talking" and all you can do is try to keep your eyes open and a smile on your face.

This has been my life, and I am sure many others on this board as well. I have found it helpful to have a few very close friends who understand my low energy levels, and what I am going through. They can't always "understand" but at least they are informed so they don't take it personal.

Rest assured that we understand you, and you are NOT alone. Hang in there.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

My strategy has gone far enough to block out the crap from my life.. I am being mean enough to say there are plenty of people around who are a$$holes and the only reason ppl hang out with them is to be "well connected", "in the hot gang" and just have a social life for the sake of it.
I decided to go ahead and quit on that thinking and decided to have a few and caring people around. Stranegly the people you're left with are also the ones who like me don't want to waste time and energy on those idiots.
Sorry for the harshness.. something happened and I decided to write this response

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger67 View Post
I don't look sick so friends don't know unless you tell them. They don't really know what to say and you hate complaining so you just push yourself to try and act like you're ok and having fun, but you really feel like crap. It just sucks that you can't be yourself around people because it's just too damn depressing.
I think that is the hardest thing about it all. We don't LOOK sick, but good lord we are sick. My friends and family have been awesome but it's my husband that doesn't get it sometimes. I have SO much to handle in my life- I have 2 kids (a very high needs 11 month old and a 3 year old), I work full time from home, I handle everything in the house (bills, cooking, shopping, laundry, cars, garden, cleaning, etc.) and he is not home often he works 8am to 8pm 6 days a week. He doesn't get that I'm no longer super mom and need help. Ug. this thyroid thing SUCKS.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
(female)

sabzchick HB User

I so understand what you are feeling.

It is very hard for people to understand that you are sick and unfortunately the treatment takes forever to get right.

My co-workers don't get it either. If we have an event on the weekend (I work in radio, and this happens often), they do not understand why it takes me the whole next week to recover.

It sucks. But, I guess it helps to know that there are other people like me... who are going through it too... and hopefully one day, we get our lives back.

Closed Thread