It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
Just told I have Thyroid Disease

I had a follow up with my doctor this morning after my thyroid blood test came back abnormal. I had a thyroid ultrasound and ct scan done a month ago so based on that and my blood test, she believes I have developed Thyroid Disease and has referred me to an Endocrinologist.

-My thyroid is enlarged and has several nodules- once I get set up on the proper dosage of medication, will my thyroid go back to normal size and will the nodules shrink? (Forgot to ask her this today)

-I posted the results of my thyroid ultrasound last week, but the ENT that ordered them did not see any signs of cancer and after reading the report today, the doctor said they don't seem to be cancerous- can I stop worrying about this for now?? (I know they'll keep an eye on the nodules) I cannot get cancer off my mind!

No one in my family has ever had any reported thyroid issues. I had a baby 8 months ago so my doctor thinks that is what "triggered" my thyroid. Was there anything I could/should have done to keep from developing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User
Re: Just told I have Thyroid Disease

cw,
there's nothing you could have done to avoid this. Don't worry this is a manageable disease.
I too had thyrlid disease triggered by pregnancy
Some believe a stress free life (does it exist for anyone ?) is the solution and preventive for all illnesses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Hi dream- Well, it's funny b/c the stress didn't start until I found out about this thyroid mess! I *think* I can handle dealing with Thyroid Disease but the thought of cancer is driving crazy! I've had 3 doctors look at the test results and scans and tell me that it's not cancer but I just can't let it go... ughhh.

How long after having your baby were you diagnosed with Thyroid Disease? Did you have any issues before? I just can't believe how this just came on all of a sudden. I've never had issues and now suddenly, I have Thyroid Disease. Do you see an Endocrinologist?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

I got into postpartum thryoiditis 4 months after baby. My baby was colicky and very cranky.. the pregnancy was stressful..
The after a 4-5 months the antibodies settled and I now have hashimoto thyroiditis.
maybe I always had antibodies I don't know.. this is when diagnosis happened.
I have nodules too which I can feel but the scans say "not cancer, not solid"..All this happened 2 years ago.
Yes I see an endocrinologist ..
I am close to 32 (next month will be 32) and perhaps am pregnant with my second.

Last edited by dream77; 08-04-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Congratulations to you!

I saw my Endo for the first time this morning. He diagnosed me with Chronic Thyroiditis. He did say the pregnancy "triggered" this. he gave me a prescription. He looked over my thyroid ultrasound and ct scan and said the nodules do not concern him at all but when he does bloodwork in October, he'll also do a thyroid ultrasound to check them and give me piece of mind (I told him how I was super stressed about cancer).

Now, you mentioned Hashimotos. I do know that I have antibodies (he told me today)- does this mean it's Hasimotos?? He didn't say but I keep reading about antibodies indicating Hashimotos.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

You need to post your antibody labs..
Chronic thyroiditis I think is generally bouts of hyper thyroidism..The only treatment I had was beta blockers to slow down the heart,

Did you have an thyroid uptake scan ?
The diagnosis of chronic thyroidism can only be done conclusively with
blood work (along with levels of antibodies)
ultrasound and an uptake scan..

Without that the picture is not complete.

For me the results of the above were :
- NO uptake of iodine.. showing a damaged thyroid HENCE a leak of thyroid hormones AND not because of Graves disease
- Blood showed antibodies in 4 digit figures showing attack on the thyroid
- Ultrasound was normal with little swelling.

The treatment for Graves disease vs chronic thyroiditis is VERY different.

Now I have a higher than normal antibody level of peroxidase indicating hashis.

Last edited by dream77; 08-04-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

No I don't have my lab numbers. All I know is my TSH is 9 and my T4 is 7.7. I saw him write those down today. I don't know what my T3 is. I suppose I should have gotten all of that but I didn't. I've never had an uptake scan-just bloodwork and thyroid ultrasound.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

CW,
What are your symptoms ?
You can ask the doc to fax you the labs..
Do you know why he called it "chronic"

HypoT is usually not chronic but once there it is there and varies in degree before consistently settling down to how it can perform.

calm down and be positive it will work out though you may need to be aggressive to get treatment.
Were you happy with the doctor you saw ??Most of us on the board have to go through several idiots to get to a good one.

Last edited by dream77; 08-04-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

I have no symptoms....yet. The only symptom my regular doc said I had was I lost all my baby weight (45lbs) in about 3 months! It never raised a red flag to me bc I've always been thin and have a high metabolism soo it wasn't a big deal to me and I still don't think it is but if I must have a symptom, that's all I have.

I was fine with my doc today although I'm not sure why he called it "chronic." I should have asked. He did seem to use it loosely and was thinking more postpartum thyroiditis. *sigh* I don't know. That's all I know. Hopefully the medication helps.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

CW,
There are things to be happy about :
YOU HAVE no symptms ... what about anxiety, depression, rapid heartrate.. feelings like
"I can't stop, have something or the other to run and do".. ?
quality of sleep.. trouble falling asleep..
hair loss ?

I apologise but I think if you no symptoms, the labs need to be complete to give a better picture. Maybe you have no issues ?? Besides if he is treating you for hyper thyroidoism synthroid is the wrong drug, what drug has he given you .. is he treating you for hyper or hypo Thyroidism ?
I am confused too.. sorry.. maybe others on the board can help.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

So sorry for the confusion dream!

Apparently, my thyroid is underactive. The endo said it isn't bad yet but of course, if it goes untreated, it will get progressively worse. So after reviewing my labs and thyroid scan, he has decided to put me on the generic of synthroid and I will go back to him in 2 months to have my numbers checked again and make sure I'm receiving the proper dosage.

And yes, he also said its a good thing that I'm not having any symptoms. I sleep great, feel normal, I do get tired but I also have a little one so you know all about that.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

OK,
your last mail sounds better..
So it appears you had a bout of hyperThyroidism and now the weight has stabiliszed and your labs look underactive.. that is good that is treating with synthroid then.

It seems you may be very anxious but it may be you are getting decent treatment.

Closed Thread