It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

spegs2 HB User
on the road to recovery....

my surgery was on 7/31 and it was not pretty. met w/ my surgeon today and he told me that my whole tumor just took over my thyroid,trachea,esophagus and 2 of my parathyroid glands.i don't remember much from that day but have been piecing things together slowly. the surgery itself was only suppose to last 1 hr. but i needed over 3 1/2 to get the whole mass out. my vocal cords are shot but i can get a shot down the road to pump them up,if i want too. had my 9 beautiful staples out also.felt like the bride of frankenstien. the healing part of this is hard because i feel like i am being choked and talk about being itchy and sore!we do know the mass was cancerous but the path is still out on exactly how bad.my calcuim levels dropped like a lead balloon while i was in the hospital so i have to take supplements for awhile and watch for signs that they don't drop to far.i am on a very high dose of synthriod due to the fact the tumor was just that bad. im meeting w/ a radiologist on friday to discuss radiation therapy(thats 6-8 weeks down the road) i have been feeling very disoriented,unrelaxable(IS THAT EVEN A WORD!!!!),and have been unable to sleep. my dr. didn't come right out and yell at me but very strongly suggested that i should have called.it is understandable everything i have been feeling. he put me on xanax and i took one when i got home today and fell right to sleep.i really needed that. this is by no means your regular thyroid removal so when everyone starts to read this don't get upset,this was not the norm.i wish it was though. will try to keep everyone updated on whats going to happen and how my paths turn out.thanks for all the prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: on the road to recovery....

Hey Spegs Wanted to say howdy! Our thyroid surgeries sound eerily similar. Mine was over 3 hours - the cancer had wrapped around my right laryngeal nerve, gone into my lymph nodes, so they had to take the laryngeal nerve and 15 lymph nodes (5 ended up being cancer). My surgeon later described the large tumor as a "sticky mass" that was very difficult to remove I'm officially "stage 3 papillary cancer." I'm sure you'll get your pathology info soon.

I had bi lateral vocal cord paralysis for months, and my right vocal cord will never move again. I am over a year post surgery now, and my voice is much MUCH stronger, so just know it takes time. Do you know if they took a laryngeal nerve, or is it just trauma from the surgery itself? I had serious breathing / swallowing / speaking issues. Couldn't swallow thin liquids for weeks after the surgery. Had bad stridor too. I'm back ballroom dancing / Jazzercising / breathing unrestricted air. You'll get there too!!

Rest - rest - rest. Your body needs it Take good care!

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Good thing that thing is out of you! My surgery was also over 3 hours, and I just had a 2.5 cm nodule!

I hope you have a speedy recovery---make sure to move your neck from side to side (not snap it back) so it doesn't get stiff......feel better!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

spegs2 HB User

hi TC08...

i don't remember the dr. saying anything about that nerve but i do know when i went to see about surgery he told me at the time that my vocals were shot,just not how bad. my kids are 19 & 21 now so the only yelling i should be doing is at work in the school cafeteria.those kids are loud and hearing them say what they want for breakfast and lunch is hard.LOL. i know that the tumor on the left was over 6cm and he did take a few small ones from the right. thank god everything is gone now.i can now work on the "rest" part of it,which i have never been good at.i guess i will have to learn.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
(female)

ccfromnc HB User

It's comforting to know I'm not alone in the post-op world of thyroid issues. Sorry for all your misfortunes as well. What is anyone doing about the breathing difficulties while waiting for the ole vocal cord to hopefully kick in? Do you tote a portable oxygen tank for those unexpected breathing attacks while walking across the parking lot to your next Dr.s appointment? I have a few jobs and I need to get back to work(bills are piling up)! Any suggestions on dealing with lack of air issues when you're on the go? Can't always sit down in the middle of the doctor's parking lot with my three kids in tow to regain my breathing composure. Please help!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
(male)

Momack HB User

I've been trying to figure out why my voice has been hoarse for 2 years. After seeing many doctors, I finally told my primary care that I wanted some blood work done. (I have a hard time believing, as they all do, that this hoarseness is due to GERD). Anyway, my bloodwork came back and looked very alarming--real high protein.. the thyroid looked good though. But the oncologist ordered xrays and cat scan of my thryoid (and lots of other parts too).
I wonder if it's my thryoid?
If so, I'll be posting on this thread in 2 weeks.
good luck to all of you.
I'm an athletic 46 yr old, father of 3 and these last few weeks "only happen to other people". It is sooo unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfromnc View Post
It's comforting to know I'm not alone in the post-op world of thyroid issues. Sorry for all your misfortunes as well. What is anyone doing about the breathing difficulties while waiting for the ole vocal cord to hopefully kick in? Do you tote a portable oxygen tank for those unexpected breathing attacks while walking across the parking lot to your next Dr.s appointment? I have a few jobs and I need to get back to work(bills are piling up)! Any suggestions on dealing with lack of air issues when you're on the go? Can't always sit down in the middle of the doctor's parking lot with my three kids in tow to regain my breathing composure. Please help!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
(female)

spegs2 HB User

i don't have any breathing problems . i do have a little catch when i yawn or take a deep breath but that is all. my vocal cords are a whole other story as of yesterday.

i went back to work and found out that keeping up a conversation was very hard. i had trouble making my voice heard and i felt horrible that people had to keep asking "what did you say?" i can't project my voice and after awhile my whole throat area was very sore.as of today it still is. i can't go on like this. i am meeting w/ my surgeon next week so he can clear me for my radiation treatments which will probably start on the 14th. i am going to ask him about this. it hurts to talk.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
(male)

Momack HB User

It is hard to explain how frustrating it is to not be able to talk. Even the little grunts that we make to acknowledge we are listening are hard to make. It's made me avoid as many social interactions as possible.
The day after you start your treatments, I'll be visiting with the oncologist and reviewing results of bone marrow, blood, urine and CT scan.
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by spegs2 View Post
i don't have any breathing problems . i do have a little catch when i yawn or take a deep breath but that is all. my vocal cords are a whole other story as of yesterday.

i went back to work and found out that keeping up a conversation was very hard. i had trouble making my voice heard and i felt horrible that people had to keep asking "what did you say?" i can't project my voice and after awhile my whole throat area was very sore.as of today it still is. i can't go on like this. i am meeting w/ my surgeon next week so he can clear me for my radiation treatments which will probably start on the 14th. i am going to ask him about this. it hurts to talk.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
(female)

spegs2 HB User

went to my endo today and when he listened to my lungs ,he thought he heard a wheeze.it was enough for him to think that it may be my high dose of synthroid that is causing all my problems,including my voice problem. of course it doesn't help that they pulled out a 4 inch tumor that had to be scrapped off my trachea ,esophagus and as well as knocking out my vocal cord.i was just about crying when i described how hard it is to talk to someone and how my throat feels at the end of the day.it could be my medication.never would have thought that.

i did not think ,like i said, that i had a breathing problem but i guess i was wrong. he started asking me questions and by the time we were done,i was winded. he questioned me on this and i said i never noticed a problem. i have been wrapped up in other health problems,enough so i don't notice whats going on in with other health issues.

good luck with all your results.

Closed Thread