It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

writermom333 HB User
My life is a good news/bad news joke ...

All of this has happened in the past week...

The good news...my blood tests revealed hypo thyroid, which explained my crummy symptoms

The bad news...my Dr. said it wasn't low enough to treat

The good news...I asked nicely and he ordered Rx anyway

The bad news...I had a very bad reaction to levothyroxin and had to stop

The good news...my Dr. agreed to prescribe Armour

The bad news...the pharmacy has had Armour on back order for four months...

The good news....I called around and found a pharmacy that has it and it should be ready tomorrow...

Uh oh...you know what comes next...stay tuned...

Debbi

Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: My life is a good news/bad news joke ...

Um... You took all of 3 doses, wasn't it? What kind of "very bad reaction" do you mean?

That said, your starter dose of 75 mcgs was pretty high for someone who the MD didn't think needed any med at all. Would've been much smarter to start you at 25, no more than 50. How much Armour has he prescribed? If it's correspondingly excessively high, I predict you'll have trouble with that too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Also try to see if you can find Nature-throid instead. Armour is becoming very scarce and isn't working as well as it used to due to the stupidity of its manufacturer.

When I started on Nature-throid I started at one grain (but many start at half that amount) and increased 1/2 grain every two weeks up to relief of symptoms. I'm currently at 3 grains.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
(female)

writermom333 HB User

Hi Midwest and McAimless,

I totally agree, I wondered why he started me on such a high dose when he originally wasn't going to treat it at all...

The third day on the RX I started to have 'episodes' of a very strange sense of dejavu/dream like feeling. it would only last for a few seconds, but it happened about 10 times every hour. I wish i had a better description for it, I have never experienced anything like it and I began to feel panicky. I don't like it when I am not in control of my mind :^)

I stopped the RX and had just one or two more episodes the next day and none since then. I take other meds and I wonder if it was caused by an interaction with them.

Anyway, I would prefer the natural hormone, so I asked for Armour. It was hard to find, but I have about a months worth to pick up. I will definitely look into getting the Nature-throid next time.

blessings!
Debbi

Old 08-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
(female)

superboo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermom333 View Post
All of this has happened in the past week...

The good news...my blood tests revealed hypo thyroid, which explained my crummy symptoms

The bad news...my Dr. said it wasn't low enough to treat

The good news...I asked nicely and he ordered Rx anyway

The bad news...I had a very bad reaction to levothyroxin and had to stop

The good news...my Dr. agreed to prescribe Armour

The bad news...the pharmacy has had Armour on back order for four months...

The good news....I called around and found a pharmacy that has it and it should be ready tomorrow...

Uh oh...you know what comes next...stay tuned...

Debbi
What was your bad reaction? I started on 25 mcg of synthroid (my TSH is normal, but I have high TPO's) and by day 4 started having significant feelings of anxiety when I'd lie down and upset bowel. Some people have said it's too early to be caused by the synthroid, some people say it's from the synthroid. My RE said I reacted that way probably because my body isn't hypo enough yet and that it should make me feel good and not worse. (I took it as a trial as I am trying to conceive soon and didn't want to fall hypo soon into pregnancy). I, too, went off it and I'm scared to try anything else. I'm curious to know how the levo made you feel and how the armour will make you feel. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

superboo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermom333 View Post
Hi Midwest and McAimless,

I totally agree, I wondered why he started me on such a high dose when he originally wasn't going to treat it at all...

The third day on the RX I started to have 'episodes' of a very strange sense of dejavu/dream like feeling. it would only last for a few seconds, but it happened about 10 times every hour. I wish i had a better description for it, I have never experienced anything like it and I began to feel panicky. I don't like it when I am not in control of my mind :^)

I stopped the RX and had just one or two more episodes the next day and none since then. I take other meds and I wonder if it was caused by an interaction with them.

Anyway, I would prefer the natural hormone, so I asked for Armour. It was hard to find, but I have about a months worth to pick up. I will definitely look into getting the Nature-throid next time.

blessings!
Debbi
Gotcha. I responded while you did .

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

daisy01 HB User

My first Levo pill was 100mcg and I thought I was dying, chest pains numbness down left arm and I couldnt breathe blue around lips and sweating. Hubby called an ambulance and it transpired I was given too high a dose and I truly believe that was what made my body intolerable of levo afterwards.
I take Armour now ( 2 grains) started on 1 grain split into 2 doses and whilst I felt a little worse for the first 3 days and did wonder if I had done the right thing. However as if by magic I felt well, full of energy brain fog disappeared and did so until a few months back and have noticed a few symptoms returning ever since the change to the fillers in Armour.

Last edited by daisy01; 08-10-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Closed Thread