It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

dannysmom HB User
Starting cytomel

I finally found a doctor who believes that I do have thyroid problems! (in addition to low progesterone and adrenal fatigue). I have been on rhodiola rosea for the adrenals and natural progesterone cream for over a month. He just prescribed cytomel for me. He wants me to start with 5mg per day and work my way up to 15 if I don't have any hyper symptoms. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/wisdom to share with me about T3 only treatment. My biggest question is will cytomel help with my horrible bloating problems? I bloat after I eat anything. Been tested for food allergies and I removed wheat, gluten, egg, all dairy, and chicken from my diet almost 4 months ago. It has helped some but I still have bloating/gas.

My most recent labs:
June10 labs:
TSH .656 (range .465-4.68)
FT4 1.09 (range 0.78-2.19)
TT3 1.090 (range .87-1.78)
FT3 2.4 (range 2.0-4.4)
Reverse T3 32 (range 11-32)
Thyroglobul AB 24.9 (range <60)
Thyroid Pero AB 15 (range <60)

More labs from June 17.

TSH 1.010 (range 0.465-4.68) fasting draw at 7am
Cortisol 15.80 (range 4.46-22.7) fasting draw at 7am
Ferritin 15.6 (range 6.24-137)

When figuring out the ratio of FT3/RT3 I came up with 7.5. I read that below 19 is not good.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Starting cytomel

My math puts your FT4 well below 50% so I'm curious why he's doing T3 only. I see your RT3 is high but generally the practice is to treat with both T3 and T4 and see how things look once you get your Ft3 and FT4 levels up somewhat.

The bloating could be celiac's or it could be from hypo. It appears you're going to a naturopath hence all the food allergy tests, etc. Mine tried to do all that to me too but I wanted to stick with the thyroid and get it figured out first then see if all this allergy stuff had any merit.

Did you do a saliva test for your adrenal function? If you really are fatigued you need hydrocortisone to bring your levels up to what the adrenals normally produce. Also did you get tested for vitamin D and B12? Your ferritin is on the low side so I assume you are supplimenting there.

It's not usual to treat with T3 only. I would be more inclined to go with low starting dose of the natural thyroid hormones instead (but check your adrenals via saliva test first and get them normalized). Did he give a specific reason for going this route?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

dannysmom HB User

I am seeing a naturopath but he is not the one who ordered all the food allergy stuff. That was actually a well know thyroid book author who I was sure would help me. He took one look at my labs and said he would not prescribe thyroid hormone so I was off to find a new doc.

I do not think the bloating is from celiac. Since it has been 4 months since removing all of those things from my diet and not seeing major improvement I think that is unlikely.

I am supplementing for my ferritin and my Vit D was a little on the low side so supplementing that as well. My B12 is actually over range.

I questioned him about getting a saliva test for cortisol but he didn't think it was necessary at this point--said his treatment plan would not change. I did have a morning fasting cortisol done before going to see him though. I know it's not the best test. If I have negative effects after starting meds I will pursue this.

I did have a 24 hour iodine loading test done and I came back deficient in iodine so he started me on iodoral tablets. His thinking is that this will help my thyroid begin to function better.

In the meantime, he thinks I need some T3 and does not want me on Armour because he thinks that I will just convert the T4 into more RT3. * Disallowed website/product and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, this is generally done as a temporary measure and usually after a trial of natural desiccated thyroid or at least a saliva test to check for adrenal fatigue.

My RT3 ratio was very low too but I didn't go onto T3, I started on Nature-throid instead and am having a reversal of my hypo symptoms now that I'm up to 3 gr. I also had a lot of adrenal fatigue symptoms but my saliva test showed me to be a little high in cortisol, not low so I didn't do any HC supplimenting, instead, as you are, I supplimented my other vitamins that were deficient.

I assume your doc is planning to switch you over to NTH after a period of time? I'm curious to see how you do on it.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-23-2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website, copied from website - please read the posting rules

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
(female)

dannysmom HB User

He is hoping that the iodoral and the cytomel will "jump start" my thyroid and it will start functioning on it's own after a while. Not sure about that but we'll see. He is definitely willing to prescribe natural thyroid if I need it though.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
(female)

dannysmom HB User
Re: Starting cytomel-UPDATE

I've been on Cytomel for about a month now--gradually working up to 15 mcg with no noticeable results. Went back to the doc today. He wants me to stay at 15 mcg. He says he's not sure if I need the T3. He is putting me on a higher dose of progesterone and doing saliva hormone tests. I got him to order the 24 hour saliva cortisol test as well. I asked him about treating with cortisol and he said that he has but he likes to use natural stuff first. He doesn't really think I would need cortisol based on my one time blood test (I know it doesn't paint the whole picture)

I am tempted to raise the dose of cytomel anyway and see what happens. I have not had any palpitations or other hyper symptoms so far. Doesn't that mean that my body does need the T3? Wouldn't I react negatively if it wasn't needed? From what I've read even 25 mcgs might not be enough to clear the high reverse T3.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I'm not familiar with the "jump start" theory so I really can't tell you much. Maybe you need some more labs done to see where you are at with your levels at this stage of the game. I still think that a ratio of T3 and T4 like NTH provides wouldn't be a bad idea. But good you are getting the saliva cortisol tests because if you are low in cortisol that needs to be addressed first.

Closed Thread