It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Has anyone had their insurance pay for a saliva test?

I had one back in Feb. and it showed my cortisol was elevated most of the day. By now I'm sure my adrenals are totally dead, but my insurance hasn't reimbursed me for the first test. I can't afford this test myself, so how else to I know if I need to do something for my adrenals?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Re: Has anyone had their insurance pay for a saliva test?

I actually did get this first test from a doc (my chiropractor). It was thru Diagnos-tech, which I didn't know at the time was unreliable, but my insurance still has not reimbursed me. Unfortunately I don't have $100 or any money of my own to buy one right now. Sigh....

I'll keep the Canary Club in mind though if I ever do have enough money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

This is just my 2 cents.......
This may sound negative but I have had 4 or 5 saliva tests over the years. NONE were paid for by Insurance. It was at the beginning of my journey to find out what was wrong with me. The companies you named are some that I used......There were no difference in their lab results than with serum blood tests I had both done. Save your money and go get blood drawn and have your insurance pay for it. I found the saliva results no different that the blood results.

I have a friend in Dallas who her Doctor recommends the saliva testing but she has an$ interest in the Compounding Pharmacy that makes up what you need. Sooooooo...

Looking back 8 years ago when my symptoms started I tried all sorts of things, read every book, tried every supplement and herb, every diet, every saliva test and compounded hormones, you name it.....ugHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I spent a fortune on testing and compounded hormones. None worked for me.
I had headaches and gained a ton of weight on them. That is just my experience. If any of my experience can help one person I will be happy.

To anyone who is not feeling well I would recommend the following:

Full Thyroid Panel with antibodies
2 hour blood sugar with 2 hour Insulin test
RAST food allergy test
Celiac test, Autoimmune Panel
Full Hormone Panel
Full Cortisol Panel
Magnesium level
Vit D level
Complete Chem panel

Today I feel great!!!! I have energy, my weight is way down....I am happy.

Oleander
Hashi's and Celiac ( gluten free 2 months)
Multinodular goiter 06
Milk Allergy ( milk free diet x 1 year) 08
Insulin resistance 08
Squamous and Basal cell Skin cancer 08

Old 08-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I would agree that saliva may not be a good way to go for hormone testing...

But I think it's a far better method for testing diurnal cortisol levels than the usual serum cortisol test that is done with one blood draw (or at the most two) and does not track cortisol levels four times during the day and night like as saliva test does. Cortisol levels vary a lot from morning to evening and one needle jab isn't going to tell much, it's just a small snapshot instead of the full picture.

Closed Thread