It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
(male)

ramanavaish HB User
Peristent thyroid pain and inflammation for 2+ months

I am a male 34 years old. I started having throat pain since June 2 2009. It was diagnosed as viral thyroiditis on June 21 2009 after an ultrasound showed swelling the right part of the thyroid. TSH levels show slight hyperthyroidism . Doc said that is characteristic of viral thyroiditis. Other tests for throat infection etc returned ok. Since then I have been on predinisone (from 40 mg to 10 mg in tapered doses) for 12 days each three times. Yet the pain returns every time I stop predinisone. Docs don't seem to have any clue and have now prescribed steriods for 1 month while cautioning me to bear with the nasty side effects. Has anyone faced this earlier?

Past medical history: I have been on medication (levosulpiride) since March 2009 for chronic pelvic pain. The pelvic pain started in April 2007 after recurrent anal fissues and has not subsided. No one knows why but the medication started helping and so I was ok. Am wondering if the thyroid can be a side effect of levosulpiride(medications not FDA approved and so there is very little data on long term usage)

Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Peristent thyroid pain and inflammation for 2+ months

It would be helpful if you could get some good thyroid labs (if you don't have them already). You need a Free T3, Free T4, TPO-Ab, TG-Ab and TSI to get a good picture of what's going on with your thyroid. If you have antibodies this is very helpful information.

I am leery of you being on steroids for thyroid inflammation for any extended period of time. If you have an autoimmune thyroid disease this is not the preferred treatment, hence why your pain keeps coming back.

Your pelvic pain may or may not be due to your thyroid. But constipation is a very common symptom and can result in anal fissures and other problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I had viral thyroiditis many years ago.

It will stay inflamed for a minimum of 3 months---can even take 6 or even 9 months---what happens is, first your thyroid gets inflamed, spits out too much hormone, and then you are hyperthyroid. Then, like a roller coaster, it drops down, all the way down, and you become hypothyroid, then finally, you usually go back to normal---at least I did.

Mine was confirmed with an uptake scan. Did you have one? If it's low/diffuse uptake, they can confirm the diagnosis. I also had a fever.

It took me about 3.5 months to cycle. I wasn't given any medication in those days, as my endo. didn't believe in it, however, I did pop a lot of advil for the inflammation. I wasn't given predisone, but that's not a great drug either---affects the adrenals, if you don't need it, consider asking fro another anti inflammatory---and remember on predisone, you need to wean off gradually.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I too had this many years ago after a case of mono. Mine cycled for about 9 months. No meds either, just ride it out - but I remember being on vacation and could not figure out why I felt so bad. Mine came and went but now I have Hashi's. This rollercoaster ride is much more, how can I say it, higher hills, lower valleys and faster turns. Right now the valley is deep.
Mattiann

Closed Thread