It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

ckop HB User
laragyscopy before thyroid surgery

I am scheduled for surgery to remove half my thyroid due to an undeterminate nodule I have to go tomorrow for a laragyscopy (not sure of spelling) to view my vocal cords Has anyone ever had to do this prior to thyroid surgery? I am scared out of my mind,, I cant even get a throat culture due to my gag reflex
and this test sounds like a nightmare.. HELP ANYONE???

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: laragyscopy before thyroid surgery

I have not had this done, but I've heard of it. Not sure why some docs do it and some don't.

There are different types. They once did the nose kind quickly in the office on my daughter when she was little, they shoved something down her nose to look at her vocal chords. There are more surgical ones where they use anesthesia. It took about 3 minutes, not comfortable, but she was angry yet okay afterward.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

ckop HB User

Thanks reece, I am a bit nervous about the whole thing, the surgeon says it is because of the location of the nodule it will determine which way she goes in I guess so as not to damage vocal cords..did your daughter gag from the nose way of the procedure?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Well, I used this nasty ENT (the one who actually diagnosed my thyroid cancer, but I didn't use him for my thyroid surgery!). He didn't prepare her or talk to her, just sprayed some saline, and shoved it in, (she had a raspy voice) so she was just in shock, not really gagging, just uncomfortable---not a vomit/gagging type of thing, more of a nose thing, if that makes any sense.

It sounds as if your surgeon is very cautious and careful, so that's great. There are doctors that monitor the vocal chords during surgery with equipment, and maybe you should ask her about that as well.

I hope your surgery goes easy and well, and that you have benign results.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

ckop HB User

Thanks I let you know how it goes!! I think I will be as bad as an 8 yr old child!! Like I said I have a huge gag reflex! I got a second opinion of my nodule and they ssid the same thing as the first Endo so I decided not to mess around and get it out.. both pathologist called it a Follicular neoplasm none of it makes much sense to me.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
(male)

rahulforever HB User
Question Re: laragyscopy before thyroid surgery

hi!!!!!!!!!!!
i have got thyroid since 2 years .is there any another way to cure this disease? can i live without taking medicine through whole life? my doctor advised me to take medicine a day regularly.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
(female)

fireweed HB User

I had a laryngoscopy done in June by an ENT to examine vocal cords. She was great and explained each step before she did it. First I was given a spray anesthetic and given a little time for it to work. The scope was fed down my nostril. It felt weird and slightly uncomfortable - the gag reflex does kind of kick in but it wasn't unbearable. It was a really small diameter scope - I'm guessing 2 or 3mm - something like that.

Last edited by fireweed; 08-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Closed Thread