It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
Mono and Hashimoto's

I have been reading as much as I can here for my 24 yo daughter was dxd with Hashi and surgical removal of half thyroid in 06. The floodgates of new symptoms and problems are open! Which brought me here.

She was severely exhausted and felt run down around Sept 07. I urged her to go to the ER to find reason why she could not stay awake. They ran blood- claimed it was a virus. Her symptoms worsened and she made another visit a week later to same ER and they found she had mono. (she was put on a steroid for the terrible cough she developed. They claimed it settled or attacked her lungs??) I need for her to get all these records STAT!
Now,to my understanding, there is no treatment for mono; as I have read here, correct? The body must wait for the immune system to kick in? Well, if you have an autoimmune disease, such as Hashimoto's does it work at all?
Living in NC, could she actually have Lyme?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Mono and Hashimoto's

She could have Lyme or just be hypo and unable to fight off infections like Mono. Is she getting treatment for hypothyroidism?

Lyme disease needs proper testing and there is a HUGE controversy about it now. I went to an infectious disease doc and got the usual ELISA test but was told later that you need the IGenex test to really have the best sensitivity. I don't really think I have Lyme disease though (even though I used to live in a hugely endemic area). I think most, if not all of my problems can be traced back to my underactive thyroid.

Does your daughter have any recent thyroid labs like TSH, Free T3, Free T4 to take a look at?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

hashimom HB User

The same thing actually happened to my daughter except in reverse order. She was diagnosed with strep twice in Feb. and March, didn't get better, went back to doc and was diagnosed with mono in April. She came home from college in May and did not get better, in fact just kept getting worse. She was finally diagnosed with Hashi's the beginning of July (they said the mono masked her thyroid symptoms) and is now just getting over the mono. If she already has hashi's please watch her adrenals because my daughter's really got stressed throughout the whole thing.

She is on heavy duty vitamins which seems to have helped, esp. vit C and B.
Good luck, I hope she feels better soon!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Thanks to you both. There is so much to learn. I had no idea.

I found a doc near us who I am very hopeful can help her. He is NOT an endo - he is an MD. I believe he's board certified in psychiatry. ?
He has been mentioned at thyroid sites, so I am way hopeful.
Thank you again.

Last edited by starryGal09; 08-13-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Closed Thread